Michigan Ford 2016 MPP

For folks who aren't being offered funding on the first go-round, make sure you fill out the form included in the acceptance email. I think it's titled something like "Form for Funding Reconsideration" or something like that. If Ford is a top choice for you, I think that's a good way of letting them know that - which may lead to money from anyone who goes elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, DeputyDowner said:

For folks who aren't being offered funding on the first go-round, make sure you fill out the form included in the acceptance email. I think it's titled something like "Form for Funding Reconsideration" or something like that. If Ford is a top choice for you, I think that's a good way of letting them know that - which may lead to money from anyone who goes elsewhere.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you suggest filling in the "additional information that would be helpful" area? 

1 hour ago, TheLastHurrah said:

Looks like it's probably going to be a no for me. Bummer.

Odd I haven't gotten an email though. 

I still haven't gotten anything either. To be honest, I'm feeling surprised at the thought of being rejected (not even admitted without funding), given that I've gotten three acceptances with full scholarships at each.

update: received email around 3pm that I've been waitlisted. 

Edited by coasts

5 hours ago, MPPKS said:

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you suggest filling in the "additional information that would be helpful" area? 

Definitely. It can make a big difference to the front office if they know that you will come if they give you some assistance to do it.

38 minutes ago, MH2 said:

I haven't received a rejection email. Is that odd? Should I call them up?

I'd suggest checking your promotions/spam/other sections of your email first. I know every email I get from Michigan gets forwarded to Social/Promotions folders for some reason.

Otherwise, it seems like admissions decisions and waitlist notifications have gone out. Not sure about rejections - never hurts to call and ask though.

30 minutes ago, DeputyDowner said:

I'd suggest checking your promotions/spam/other sections of your email first. I know every email I get from Michigan gets forwarded to Social/Promotions folders for some reason.

Otherwise, it seems like admissions decisions and waitlist notifications have gone out. Not sure about rejections - never hurts to call and ask though.

Thanks, I checked. Got accepted. No funding again. 

14 hours ago, wmkx said:

Is anyone going to Spring Preview? I am planning my travel arrangements and airfare is definitely going up. I'll be coming from California.

I'll be there! But I live 2.5 hours from AA. :) 

Howdy guys - is there anyone out there who has filled out the form letter requesting more funding and who knows how that process works precisely? Do you think there'd be a chance admissions will respond before April 15? Maybe they're going to wait until after visit day when more people who have received full funding will decline?

I've been offered the 1/3 tuition fellowship, but having received other funding offers elsewhere, it makes little sense to take on so much debt. But, I really like Michigan and so am holding out. Anyone know of any stories from past years of people getting bumped up in funding before April 15?

I'm also on the alternate list for a FLAS Fellowship at Michigan - anyone have any insight into what chances I might have of that coming through??

Thanks all! Have a great time April 8-9 for those who are going!

49 minutes ago, Grad Decision 2016 said:

Howdy guys - is there anyone out there who has filled out the form letter requesting more funding and who knows how that process works precisely? Do you think there'd be a chance admissions will respond before April 15? Maybe they're going to wait until after visit day when more people who have received full funding will decline?

I've been offered the 1/3 tuition fellowship, but having received other funding offers elsewhere, it makes little sense to take on so much debt. But, I really like Michigan and so am holding out. Anyone know of any stories from past years of people getting bumped up in funding before April 15?

I'm also on the alternate list for a FLAS Fellowship at Michigan - anyone have any insight into what chances I might have of that coming through??

I was wondering th  same thing about that funding form. I doubt many people will decline but I'm holding out and hoping that I'll get even some funding. 

On 3/22/2016 at 0:18 PM, Grad Decision 2016 said:

I have no idea what the FLAS Fellowship process is, but I have a feeling that some of the funding info will be released before April 15th. I'm saying this based on their timeline for the Bohnett Fellowship selections. My understanding is that they'll be chosen/announced before the deadline, and consequently, at least three people may be changing pots of funding (potentially freeing up money).

That being said, I'd expect the rest of the funding decisions to be made after 4/15, simply because that's when they'll have a better idea of who's coming with whatever financial package (and how much they have left to disburse).

13 hours ago, DeputyDowner said:

I have no idea what the FLAS Fellowship process is, but I have a feeling that some of the funding info will be released before April 15th.

I got a response back from Julie Burnett in Graduate Academic Services at Michigan. Here's what she had to say on FLAS for anyone else who might be interested:

"The Academic Year FLAS awards and alternate list are somewhat unpredictable.  Some years we go through almost the entire alternate list, other years there aren't many changes.  The alternate list isn't ranked and we select replacements based on several factors (primarily the distribution of languages, levels, and the nominees academic unit), allowing diversity among the recipients."

23 hours ago, MH2 said:

Has the Bohnett Fellowship ever been awarded to people who are not from the US? 

I'm not sure about that, but I did get my rejection email for it day before last - that was quick! 

Has anyone gotten their call or communication or whatever it is that admitted students were supposed to get this week? 

For those who have committed (or are likely to commit) to attending Ford, when would it be a good time to find housing? Other forum threads suggest scouting a place as soon as you submit your intent to register, but wouldn't that be too early? Or do some landlords allow you to sign a lease now to secure a place but have the move in and lease start around September? I am located in California and I am not sure how many opportunities I will have to visit Ann Arbor before the fall.

8 hours ago, obrien_blue said:

I'm not sure about that, but I did get my rejection email for it day before last - that was quick! 

Has anyone gotten their call or communication or whatever it is that admitted students were supposed to get this week? 

I got my call on Wednesday

On 3/25/2016 at 4:51 PM, wmkx said:

For those who have committed (or are likely to commit) to attending Ford, when would it be a good time to find housing? Other forum threads suggest scouting a place as soon as you submit your intent to register, but wouldn't that be too early? Or do some landlords allow you to sign a lease now to secure a place but have the move in and lease start around September? I am located in California and I am not sure how many opportunities I will have to visit Ann Arbor before the fall.

Most leasing options I've seen in Ann Arbor start in July or August. It's very much a college town, with most housing is intended for students (meaning places tend to be less flexible than in a big city, because most people need to move in before September and move out in June). Depending on what you're looking for, of course. If you don't mind (1) living outside of Ann Arbor or (2) spending a lot of money on rent, there are more flexible options.