Skowhegan 2016

Gato04

I think it's a very difficult situation especially if you can't afford to pay $600 for an artist residency, which I wouldn't out of my own pocket. As emerging artists, as in my case, it's already hard enough to support myself while doing my work. That being said, ACA is a unique program. The fact that you will have the chance to develop a personal relationship with the master artist and have him/her become familiar with your practice is worth every penny of the fee, more so if the the master artist is someone you admire/ has influenced your work. An array of opportunities may come for you out of that experience –the master artist could help further your career in the future by recommending you to curators and even nominating you to grants. A fellow artist in my group was nominated to the Joan Mitchell Foundation grant by the master artist a year after the residency and won it! So there you have it. I think you will have to put both options on a scale and see what is better for you right now. If you decide to go, I suggest you start a fundraising campaign asap–kickstarter, gofund me have worked for me in the past. You can also email the person in charge of financial aid and ask him if there's a possibility of paying the fee in installments. They are always willing to help accepted associates. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!

Edited by Gato04

On 4/3/2016 at 1:00 PM, Gato04 said:

I think it's a very difficult situation especially if you can't afford to pay $600 for an artist residency, which I wouldn't out of my own pocket. As emerging artists, as in my case, it's already hard enough to support myself while doing my work. That being said, ACA is a unique program. The fact that you will have the chance to develop a personal relationship with the master artist and have him/her become familiar with your practice is worth every penny of the fee, more so if the the master artist is someone you admire/ has influenced your work. An array of opportunities may come for you out of that experience –the master artist could help further your career in the future by recommending you to curators and even nominating you to grants. A fellow artist in my group was nominated to the Joan Mitchell Foundation grant by the master artist a year after the residency and won it! So there you have it. I think you will have to put both options on a scale and see what is better for you right now. If you decide to go, I suggest you start a fundraising campaign asap–kickstarter, gofund me have worked for me in the past. You can also email the person in charge of financial aid and ask him if there's a possibility of paying the fee in installments. They are always willing to help accepted associates. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!

Thanks Gato. I've just found out I can do a summer research program at UCI that will give me a sizable stipend, so I'm going to decline ACA. While I'm interested in the artist's work, she's not an influence so it doesn't bother me too much to miss. Plus, I just found out one of the programs I've been working for has been cancelled, essentially cutting my income in half, so I definitely can't afford to do ACA. I think I'll just apply again in the following summers and see if my department will fund it. 

Now, if I miraculously get into Skowhegan, it'll definitely complicate things...

1 hour ago, cpw0021 said:

Now, if I miraculously get into Skowhegan, it'll definitely complicate things...

Well, I don't have to worry about that. Just got my rejection email. 

Good luck everyone!

Just got word I didn't get into Skowhegan. I received a pretty lengthy email explaining that it was a particularly competitive year, but I'm sure they tell everybody that. Also, my email was titled "applicant #21" does anyone know what the significance is of that, if any? 

Good luck to everybody! 

3 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Well, I don't have to worry about that. Just got my rejection email. 

Good luck everyone!

What did they say in your letter? If you don't mind me asking. . . 

5 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

Just got word I didn't get into Skowhegan. I received a pretty lengthy email explaining that it was a particularly competitive year, but I'm sure they tell everybody that. Also, my email was titled "applicant #21" does anyone know what the significance is of that, if any? 

Good luck to everybody! 

Did you apply early? Maybe that's it? 

I applied during the first deadline though and my number is 219. I hope this isn't ranking! :/

Edited by cpw0021

1 minute ago, Tjarrells said:

What did they say in your letter? If you don't mind me asking. . . 

it's a standard letter, I think: 

Thank you for your application to the 2016 summer session at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a spot in this year’s class.
We were extremely impressed by the applicants this year and found the review process to be extremely challenging. With over 2100 applicants, while it was continuously exciting to see the work that is being produced around the world at this moment, it was without a doubt our toughest jurying process yet. On behalf of the Board of Governors, faculty, and staff, we deeply appreciate the time you spent preparing your application.
The application process often offers an overview of what is happening in art in any given moment—please know that your work and the work of your peers is contributing to an important dialogue. We hope you will continue to seek out opportunities and communities to support your practice and your voice. We wish you the best of luck with your work and thank you for your patience throughout the review process.

Just now, cpw0021 said:

Did you apply early? Maybe that's it? 

I applied during the first deadline though and my number is 219. I hope this isn't ranking! 

Yeah I did apply pretty early. I bundled my Skowhegan application with all my grad school application. 

1 minute ago, cpw0021 said:

it's a standard letter, I think: 

Thank you for your application to the 2016 summer session at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you a spot in this year’s class.
We were extremely impressed by the applicants this year and found the review process to be extremely challenging. With over 2100 applicants, while it was continuously exciting to see the work that is being produced around the world at this moment, it was without a doubt our toughest jurying process yet. On behalf of the Board of Governors, faculty, and staff, we deeply appreciate the time you spent preparing your application.
The application process often offers an overview of what is happening in art in any given moment—please know that your work and the work of your peers is contributing to an important dialogue. We hope you will continue to seek out opportunities and communities to support your practice and your voice. We wish you the best of luck with your work and thank you for your patience throughout the review process.

Mine was the same. Oh well, I guess I can't expect to get into everything I apply to! I'll just try again next year, I hope you do the same. 

3 minutes ago, Tjarrells said:

Mine was the same. Oh well, I guess I can't expect to get into everything I apply to! I'll just try again next year, I hope you do the same. 

I will. It's probably better to wait and do it during grad school anyway (so I've been told) so that your program will fund it.  Good luck for next year and have fun at Tyler!  

Also rejected! But I did find the letter to be the nicest rejection I've received, very encouraging and thoughtful! Pretty relived, it would have been stressful to try and scramble my life together before starting grad school.

Rejected too :(...this one's mine:

Thank you for your application to the 2016 summer session at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. While we are unable to offer you a spot in this year’s class, we wanted to let you know that your application made it to the final round. The committee that reviewed your work thought it was very strong.

We were extremely impressed by the applicants this year and found the review process to be extremely challenging. With over 2100 applicants, while it was continuously exciting to see the work that is being produced around the world at this moment, it was without a doubt our toughest jurying process. On behalf of the Board of Governors, faculty, and staff, we deeply appreciate the time you spent preparing your application.

The application process often offers an overview of what is happening in art in any given moment—please know that your work and the work of your peers is contributing to an important dialogue. We hope you will continue to seek out opportunities and communities to support your practice and your voice.

14 minutes ago, Gato04 said:

Rejected too :(...this one's mine:

Thank you for your application to the 2016 summer session at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture. While we are unable to offer you a spot in this year’s class, we wanted to let you know that your application made it to the final round. The committee that reviewed your work thought it was very strong.

We were extremely impressed by the applicants this year and found the review process to be extremely challenging. With over 2100 applicants, while it was continuously exciting to see the work that is being produced around the world at this moment, it was without a doubt our toughest jurying process. On behalf of the Board of Governors, faculty, and staff, we deeply appreciate the time you spent preparing your application.

The application process often offers an overview of what is happening in art in any given moment—please know that your work and the work of your peers is contributing to an important dialogue. We hope you will continue to seek out opportunities and communities to support your practice and your voice.

Oh but that's encouraging-- you'll definitely get in next time! 

Has anyone not heard yet, been wait listed, accepted? Etc. or been rejected beyond the initial wave of rejections that went out yesterday... Haven't heard anything, freaking out here.