Midwest SLP

So I'm sure this is also an old forum, but I figured starting a new one would be good. I've seen forums for other regions, but just thought I'd start one for people applying in the Midwest! My signature has where I'm applying, but all eight of my schools are in the Midwest. Trying to see if anybody has similar schools to me! :) 

How is the process going for you guys? I'm still waiting to hear from Bowling Green, Illinois State, Michigan State, UW Milwaukee, and UW Whitewater!

Edited by koalalover1

Since I also applied mainly to MW schools, I'm piggybacking a question on this...I'm not from the Midwest, so my knowledge is limited. Does anyone know how concerned schools are about the lack of a budget in Illinois and the budget cuts to public universities in Wisconsin? 

Im applying to IUB (waitlist), NU, SXU, MWU, SIUE, NIU. I wish you guys the greatest of luck because these schools are popular!

3 hours ago, auruten said:

Im applying to IUB (waitlist), NU, SXU, MWU, SIUE, NIU. I wish you guys the greatest of luck because these schools are popular!

I wish you luck as well! :) Illinois State rejected me today (first one though!) so hoping for some more good news soon! Definitely was not my top choice anyways, so that's okay with me! Just hoping to hear from the rest soon. 

Edited by koalalover1

1 hour ago, koalalover1 said:

I wish you luck as well! :) Illinois State rejected me today (first one though!) so hoping for some more good news soon! Definitely was not my top choice anyways, so that's okay with me! Just hoping to hear from the rest soon. 

Bummed to hear about your response from IL State. I have faith in you though; stay positive!!

Edited by cosmicmorgan

9 hours ago, cosmicmorgan said:

Since I also applied mainly to MW schools, I'm piggybacking a question on this...I'm not from the Midwest, so my knowledge is limited. Does anyone know how concerned schools are about the lack of a budget in Illinois and the budget cuts to public universities in Wisconsin? 

I did my undergrad at Point and I know that the school did everything it could to spread out tee cuts to help make sure one department didn't take too big of a hit. The schools don't agree with these cuts but there is nothing they can do about it. 

52 minutes ago, cosmicmorgan said:

Bummed to hear about your response from IL State. I have faith in you though; stay positive!!

I will! I'm glad I'm not out of the process yet! :) Still waiting on four more schools and an interview!

1 hour ago, speechie0312 said:

I did my undergrad at Point and I know that the school did everything it could to spread out tee cuts to help make sure one department didn't take too big of a hit. The schools don't agree with these cuts but there is nothing they can do about it. 

Good to know. Of course schools can be subject to political nonsense at times, but I'm glad to hear at least one WI school is handling it just fine. Thanks!

3 hours ago, kgehlha said:

I just got an email from SIUE so I hope you hear something too soon @auruten!! 

Yes I did. It was a wait list notification so I'm hoping for more solid news from other schools soon. 

I only applied to three schools, as recommended by my advisor. I haven't heard back from any of them yet, but judging from a quick results search it looks like no one else has either. I'm cautiously optimistic about my chances at this point. 

Edited by EddieRue

10 hours ago, slptobe92 said:

Do you mind sharing your stats?

So my stats are actually pretty bad. Ungrad GPA: 3.1 GRE: 152v 142q 4.5aw 

I worked all 4 years while at Purdue and held many leadership positions. I really hoped that would help my application! 

10 minutes ago, slpdee said:

I got in to SIUE! It's the first school I've heard back from, but I'm pretty excited! It's one of my top choices and being out of state, I didn't think I had a chance.

Congrats!! :)

51 minutes ago, slpdee said:

I got in to SIUE! It's the first school I've heard back from, but I'm pretty excited! It's one of my top choices and being out of state, I didn't think I had a chance.

Congratulations!

On March 4, 2016 at 11:10 AM, cosmicmorgan said:

I can't speak for Illinois, but I just got back from UW Madison's Open House and it seems like their department really took a hit from it all... they barely have any funding/scholarships for students, which is normal to an extent, but usually you hear of at least one or two students getting 100% or 50%... even 25% tuition remissions.  

People have been hearing back from NIU and I am freaking out because it is one of my top 3 schools and I haven't heard anything yet. Is this bad news?

8 hours ago, auruten said:

People have been hearing back from NIU and I am freaking out because it is one of my top 3 schools and I haven't heard anything yet. Is this bad news?

just saw more results posted here. I've been checking my portal forever and it's not changing, probably a bad sign. :(

33 minutes ago, auruten said:

just saw more results posted here. I've been checking my portal forever and it's not changing, probably a bad sign. :(

ugh, that's such a crap feeling. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! 

On 3/5/2016 at 8:22 PM, speechie0312 said:

Oh cool! How did you like Point? I am waitlisted, but it is one of my top choices! I'm happy for whoever all got in, but I really hope to hear good news in April about some openings! I am from UW Whitewater, and also I feel like what you said is pretty similar to here. 

Edited by koalalover1

On March 7, 2016 at 1:40 AM, auruten said:

I heard about my acceptance on Sunday! I think they are sending out wait lists throughout this week!

On March 8, 2016 at 11:00 AM, koalalover1 said:

Oh cool! How did you like Point? I am waitlisted, but it is one of my top choices! I'm happy for whoever all got in, but I really hope to hear good news in April about some openings! I am from UW Whitewater, and also I feel like what you said is pretty similar to here. 

I really enjoyed my time at Point. There is some pretty great faculty and the clinic is really well managed.