R1 University Vs. Other.

ONtheHunt

Hey all,

Just wondering if I could get some input on selecting the program that is best for me.  I have been accepted at an R1 university for clinical psychology and a private university as well.  Both programs feel like a great fit for me research/training wise, but I find myself leaning toward the private university's program.  I am concerned that turning down an offer at an R1 university is a big mistakes.

Can anyone shed some light on this concern??

Many thanks!! 

I personally turned down an offer from an R1 university. I think it depends on your training objectives, the career you ultimately want, and how well the program/faculty/students fit with you. It's not all about the "R1 reputation" in my opinion.

Congratulations on your acceptances! I agree with decclynn in all of the things they mentioned to consider. A flashy R1 school may sound good on a CV, but if you aren't happy with the faculty/ location/ general atmosphere, then you may regret choosing the R1 school. Don't be afraid to ask the students or your POIs more questions. Were you able to visit the schools in person?

Thank you for the response! I visited both schools during interviews. The R1 university is located in a more rural/small town setting, whereas the private is located in a city.   

One of the biggest factors holding me back from the R1 university is the need to travel 1-2 hours for a practicum/externship site, whereas the private university is located in a city. All the graduate students raved about their practicum experiences. Funding is another question.  Funding at the private isn't  as good as the R1 (for obvious reasons).

Such a big decision that I am paranoid I am going to make the wrong choice!   

What exactly appeals to you about the R1 label? Is it prestige/name recognition? The level of research productivity (assuming you want to go into research)? There may be other, more useful metrics for the specific things you value/are looking for. For example, if you're using R1 status as a proxy for research productivity, you may want to consider instead the recent publication output of your adviser at the private university (and whether students are often co-authors on his/her papers) vs. the recent publication output of the adviser at the R1. If the adviser at the private U is just as productive and supportive of grad students' publishing as the adviser at the R1, that may matter more than the label of "R1" alone. 

Worrying about making the wrong choice shows how seriously you are taking this decision. Having access to many close practicum sites is a major plus. It may help to even out the funding issue since you won't have to pay as much for travel. Funding and the fancy R1 school label may not be as big of deals down the road. While it cannot be easy to imagine too far in the future, try to think of where you want to be when you receive your doctorate. Which school will get you to where you want to be? Also, having visited them both, which program did you feel the most welcome?

This is all great advice! Thanks everyone. I think overall, my excitement for the private school shows that this is where I'm meant to be. Both programs will serve me well, but I think in the end, I will be happiest in a bigger city with more opportunities at my fingertips!