Columbia vs. Harvard for MPP

harvey1105

WWJD?

I got into HKS which is my absolute dream school (literally cried for joy when the email happened) for their MPP program and now I've got the tough decision of weighing with my second choice, Columbia SIPA, where I've received a generous $80,000 scholarship over two years. I would be happy and successful at either school, BUT I feel more connected to the mission, student body, and culture at HKS. Plus there is that extra boost of prestige that I don't have (as a public state school undergrad).

Financial aid decisions aren't released from HKS until April, but I am finding myself having nightmares of the horror on not getting any funding. What would YOU do?

16 minutes ago, harvey1105 said:

WWJD?

I got into HKS which is my absolute dream school (literally cried for joy when the email happened) for their MPP program and now I've got the tough decision of weighing with my second choice, Columbia SIPA, where I've received a generous $80,000 scholarship over two years. I would be happy and successful at either school, BUT I feel more connected to the mission, student body, and culture at HKS. Plus there is that extra boost of prestige that I don't have (as a public state school undergrad).

Financial aid decisions aren't released from HKS until April, but I am finding myself having nightmares of the horror on not getting any funding. What would YOU do?

$80K over two years at Columbia is what percentage of their actual tuition?  How much/how long is the HKS degree?  I'm in a position where I'm choosing between the same schools (and one other), but I have basically eliminated Columbia because my program costs about $120K over 1.5-2 years, and the Harvard program is way cheaper.  Is Harvard the same price as Columbia?  

It sounds like you love HKS a whole lot.  I suggest if you feel like that experience is worth however many loans you would need to take out, it's worthwhile to follow your gut.  

I would first wait for the HKS funding decisions. If I happened to receive an aid package lower than Columbia's, I would reiterate to HKS that it is my top choice for strong reasons but that I would need financial aid assistance to make that a reality.

I would compare the cost of living in Cambridge vs. NYC because living expenses will inevitably be calculated on top of tuition and fees. I would also review curricula and faculty research once more just to make sure each program provides the educational resources and program fit that I'm looking for.

57 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

$80K over two years at Columbia is what percentage of their actual tuition?  How much/how long is the HKS degree?  I'm in a position where I'm choosing between the same schools (and one other), but I have basically eliminated Columbia because my program costs about $120K over 1.5-2 years, and the Harvard program is way cheaper.  Is Harvard the same price as Columbia?  

It sounds like you love HKS a whole lot.  I suggest if you feel like that experience is worth however many loans you would need to take out, it's worthwhile to follow your gut.  

The tuition costs between Columbia and Harvard are about the same, $54k vs. $51k per year respectively, and both are two-year programs. While cost of living is a factor, Cambridge vs. NYC isn't a huge gap, plus I will be attending with the support of my significant other (aka no rent) wherever I go. 

My biggest worry is about not getting any funding from Harvard. I'm debating if I should contact them before or after the decisions come out, because I'm afraid if I do it afterwards, the funding is already appropriated.

3 hours ago, harvey1105 said:

The tuition costs between Columbia and Harvard are about the same, $54k vs. $51k per year respectively, and both are two-year programs. While cost of living is a factor, Cambridge vs. NYC isn't a huge gap, plus I will be attending with the support of my significant other (aka no rent) wherever I go. 

My biggest worry is about not getting any funding from Harvard. I'm debating if I should contact them before or after the decisions come out, because I'm afraid if I do it afterwards, the funding is already appropriated.

It's worth a shot calling them beforehand, although I'm not sure there's much you can do, at the very least maybe they can give you an impression of your chances.  Either way you probably can't make a final decision until you get the full aid package.

I, too, am waiting on funding from Harvard (which they said would arrive the last week in March).  While I don't expect much, it will likely still be comparable to my other offers, so I'll probably be in a position to decide based on program and gut rather than finances alone.