UCLA vs. UPenn vs. Columbia U

SOC_edu

Major in Master of Arts of Comparative and International Education. Don't know how to choose from these three schools!! 

Help!!! Love all these three schools but don't like New York....

It seems to me that if you are comparing three programs to each other and nothing about the academics of the programs themselves are significantly different enough to make you want to eliminate one, then you can turn to other factors. Location is one of those. If you truly can't decide between these three programs, but you don't like New York, then it would make sense to eliminate Columbia and focus on the other two.

Now, if you love Columbia the best and you are only waffling because you don't like New York then I'd say strongly consider going anyway, unless you think the city will make you utterly miserable.

Thank you for both of your replies! I do think I should take costs into account. Columbia offers me 9000 dollars scholarships while other two have not mentioned funding yet. The thing I am considering about is the quality of the college. I've heard Columbia sends many offers because of lacking of money, so professors may not care much about students. I don't know if it's true... Does anyone know the quality of the master programs in Columbia?

On 3/11/2016 at 10:43 AM, Young1008 said:

Thank you for both of your replies! I do think I should take costs into account. Columbia offers me 9000 dollars scholarships while other two have not mentioned funding yet. The thing I am considering about is the quality of the college. I've heard Columbia sends many offers because of lacking of money, so professors may not care much about students. I don't know if it's true... Does anyone know the quality of the master programs in Columbia?

I assume you are talking about TC?  I've been accepted to Penn and TC's IED program (which is in the department of international and comparative education).  I am fully convinced, based on virtually everyone I've talked to in the field, that TC's program is less focused and supportive than Penn's.  I also received the $9000 from TC, as well as $10,000 from Penn.  

TC's school is the biggest ed school in the country and you may feel pretty anonymous, compared to a very small cohort at Penn.  Also, many students are part-time at TC which gives the program a different vibe if you are one of the few pursuing the degree full-time, you may feel lonely.  These are just things that I personally feel that have caused me to eliminate TC.  

On March 11, 2016 at 10:43 AM, Young1008 said:

Although you received a scholarship from Columbia, you should consider cost of living and tuition cost. New York is very expensive so that $9,000 scholarship may be equivalent to no money from Penn. I'm not too sure about the cost of living in LA. I live in Philadelphia now and I looked into moving to NYC a few years ago so I know for sure Philly is considerably cheaper than NYC. Just something to think about.

13 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Philly is considerably cheaper, and if you are in my program, the cost of the program is also considerably cheaper.

Thank you so much!! I'm also applying to IED program at Penn! It's true that TC has so many people...so you decided to go to Penn? I'm still puzzling because I don't know if I can get any research opportunity at TC or Penn...

37 minutes ago, Love3 said:

Although you received a scholarship from Columbia, you should consider cost of living and tuition cost. New York is very expensive so that $9,000 scholarship may be equivalent to no money from Penn. I'm not too sure about the cost of living in LA. I live in Philadelphia now and I looked into moving to NYC a few years ago so I know for sure Philly is considerably cheaper than NYC. Just something to think about.

Yes, that's true!! NYC is so expensive, but I really love the program at TC rather than Penn...so I don't know how to choose...

24 minutes ago, Young1008 said:

Thank you so much!! I'm also applying to IED program at Penn! It's true that TC has so many people...so you decided to go to Penn? I'm still puzzling because I don't know if I can get any research opportunity at TC or Penn...

I am choosing still between Penn and Harvard.  TC was originally the only school I was interested, but I have since become sort of disenchanted with it after speaking with so many alums/others who speak negatively of their experience (something I have yet to encounter at either Penn or Harvard, everyone seems glowing).  Even though TC's faculty probably matches my interests most, I just didn't get the impression that the school was fulfilling to students---several have said to me they felt like their time there was 'wasted' or that they regret not choosing another program.

I think Penn's program is incredible.  The guaranteed internship and close-knit cohort seem very well designed, and you can build strong relationships with faculty.  They also have very specific job-skills embedded into the coursework.

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

I am choosing still between Penn and Harvard.  TC was originally the only school I was interested, but I have since become sort of disenchanted with it after speaking with so many alums/others who speak negatively of their experience (something I have yet to encounter at either Penn or Harvard, everyone seems glowing).  Even though TC's faculty probably matches my interests most, I just didn't get the impression that the school was fulfilling to students---several have said to me they felt like their time there was 'wasted' or that they regret not choosing another program.

I think Penn's program is incredible.  The guaranteed internship and close-knit cohort seem very well designed, and you can build strong relationships with faculty.  They also have very specific job-skills embedded into the coursework.

I definitely agree what you said. I do think I may not have many opportunities at TC. However, I also noticed that IED program at Penn is relatively new, so I'm not sure if the faulty or  program runs well. The guaranteed internship is so attractive. One of my professor also recommend me to go to Penn instead of TC. You said many alums at TC had negative experience, could you talk more details about it? I was wondering what were they studying at TC? What kind of negative experience at TC?

10 minutes ago, Young1008 said:

I definitely agree what you said. I do think I may not have many opportunities at TC. However, I also noticed that IED program at Penn is relatively new, so I'm not sure if the faulty or  program runs well. The guaranteed internship is so attractive. One of my professor also recommend me to go to Penn instead of TC. You said many alums at TC had negative experience, could you talk more details about it? I was wondering what were they studying at TC? What kind of negative experience at TC?

Well, one of my friends felt she was disappointed intellectually---that the course content was not challenging, stimulating, or as enriching as she might have expected from an "Ivy league" school.  She was in the Education Policy program, or Ed & Sociology or something like that.  Similarly, a Gradcafe poster who chose TC told me that it felt like a "diploma mill", that some classes/projects were jokes, and the impression that TC doesn't hold as much weight in the job market as other schools.  

As for the new-ness of Penn's program... it seems like they really have their stuff together there.  Students seem to have close relationships with the program faculty and build personal and professional networks around them.  They attend conferences together and meet for support.

Edited by Heather1011

8 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Well, one of my friends felt she was disappointed intellectually---that the course content was not challenging, stimulating, or as enriching as she might have expected from an "Ivy league" school.  She was in the Education Policy program.  Similarly, a Gradcafe poster who chose TC told me that it felt like a "diploma mill", that some classes/projects were jokes, and the impression that TC doesn't hold as much weight in the job market as other schools.  

As for the new-ness of Penn's program... it seems like they really have their stuff together there.  Students seem to have close relationships with the program faculty and build personal and professional networks around them.  They attend conferences together and meet for support.

Thank you for your sharing! I will take a serious consideration about it. Hope you have a good choice as well! 

3 hours ago, Lelelena said:

Any advice comparing living in Philly and NYC? I'm also considering between Upenn and Columbia, thanks!

Philly is way cheaper. Both cities are cool though. 

11 hours ago, Lelelena said:

Thank you for the reply! yeah I reckon Philly would be more comfortable to live in comparing to NYC...

Philly is also CONSIDERABLY smaller than NYC.  It's very easy to get around, you can walk or have a car.  In NYC, having a car is mostly a terrible idea.  

9000 dollars can only cover about 6 credits at TC, I would examine the overall cost of each program before you decide. TC and UPenn are great schools for education so I think it comes down to practicality then prestige because they are about the same. However, if you want warm winter, consider UCLA :)

19 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Philly is also CONSIDERABLY smaller than NYC.  It's very easy to get around, you can walk or have a car.  In NYC, having a car is mostly a terrible idea.  

I heard that Philly is quite spread out, is it a good idea to have a bicycle there? thanks=)

1 hour ago, Lelelena said:

I heard that Philly is quite spread out, is it a good idea to have a bicycle there? thanks=)

A bicycle is useful in any city, and there are lovely bike paths also in Philly.  Spread out is a relative term... it's very easy to travel via bus or subway to hot spots in Philly from Penn.  You can walk pretty much anywhere you'd likely want to go in 40 minutes, but that is a long walk, so bike is never a bad idea.

Edited by Heather1011

22 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

A bicycle is useful in any city, and there are lovely bike paths also in Philly.  Spread out is a relative term... it's very easy to travel via bus or subway to hot spots in Philly from Penn.  You can walk pretty much anywhere you'd likely want to go in 40 minutes, but that is a long walk, so bike is never a bad idea.

sounds very nice, thanks for your advice!=)

On March 19, 2016 at 4:50 PM, COGSCI said:

9000 dollars can only cover about 6 credits at TC, I would examine the overall cost of each program before you decide. TC and UPenn are great schools for education so I think it comes down to practicality then prestige because they are about the same. However, if you want warm winter, consider UCLA :)

Thank you for you reply! In terms of quality of education, which school do you think is the best?