SOP for sociology application

Hi!

My question is to those who are applying to Ph.D. programs in sociology. Are you mentioning your dissertation project in your statement? If you do, do you go into details?

I'm also looking for someone kind enough to review one paragraph of my statement. (If you can send PM I will be glad.)

Thanks.

My question is to those who are applying to Ph.D. programs in sociology. Are you mentioning your dissertation project in your statement? If you do, do you go into details?

Do you mean a research interest or are you talking about a complete disertation paper? I don't quite understand your question.

Do you mean a research interest or are you talking about a complete disertation paper? I don't quite understand your question.

Well, actually I mean research interests but my advisor wants me to go into details as if I have already figured out everything about my possible research.

I am planning to go into some detail. I am actually ending up with three different SOPs. For schools that want short ones, I am going almost straight research proposal. For one school, I am getting a bit more personal on why a specific period of my life ties to my research. And the others are getting a bit of background and then my research interests.

I would be happy to read it.

Eeek, I wasn't going to do anything close to proposing my dissertation in my SOP. Because it seems like it's going to depend so strongly on the particular research projects on which/research center within which you might work or get funded, on the professors who might want to work with you, etc. Since you can't know that as an applicant, proposing a project seems tough territory. But easily I could be totally off... Is an SOP supposed to be a research proposal?

Eeek, I wasn't going to do anything close to proposing my dissertation in my SOP. Because it seems like it's going to depend so strongly on the particular research projects on which/research center within which you might work or get funded, on the professors who might want to work with you, etc. Since you can't know that as an applicant, proposing a project seems tough territory. But easily I could be totally off... Is an SOP supposed to be a research proposal?

I have been told that it is one way to go. It is all so confusing, isn't it?