University of Memphis

10 minutes ago, lersc said:

Hi all! Just thought I'd make a thread for those considering or planning to attend the University of Memphis. Anyone else out there?

If they offer any funding, I'll be considering there!

Nope! No email yet, but I did email the advisor they assigned me to ask about schedules and tuition info. No response yet. I also signed up for the roommate search.

3 minutes ago, lersc said:

Nope! No email yet, but I did email the advisor they assigned me to ask about schedules and tuition info. No response yet. I also signed up for the roommate search.

There is a roommate search??

I have gone ahead an accepted my offer from Memphis! It was my top choice so I'm extremely thankful! Does anybody known if there is a Facebook page for the class yet? I know it may still be quite early as decisions don't have to be made until mid-April, but I'm just curious to find potential roommates and see who I will be classmates with! :)

On 2/21/2016 at 1:34 PM, kgehlha said:

19 hours ago, jtharp said:

I have gone ahead an accepted my offer from Memphis! It was my top choice so I'm extremely thankful! Does anybody known if there is a Facebook page for the class yet? I know it may still be quite early as decisions don't have to be made until mid-April, but I'm just curious to find potential roommates and see who I will be classmates with! :)

I will be attending Memphis if I don't get into Auburn. 

• 2 weeks later...

So for those of you who committed to Memphis, how did you know it was the right school for you? What are some of your favorite things about the program? Was it your top choice?

I was sold because it was one of the top programs, I will receive in-state tuition, and of all the programs I applied to, it seemed the most welcoming toward/equipped to properly prepare non-background students. Plus, it will only add one semester to my program, rather than two.

All of this was really just confirmed by my visit to campus. My advisor was nice, informative, and excited that I would even consider a thesis. The facilities are new and top-rate. They also said that if, once you began your program, you decided you were more interested in research, it would be relatively easy to get you on the PhD track. Of course there's no way to really know until classes begin, but so far I'm very happy with my decision.

I made a FB page, by the way, and hope people join as soon as they decide! https://www.facebook.com/groups/812015308898467/

@BamaBelle I am originally from TN so that was my biggest factor in picking a graduate school. I was able to get into Memphis, UT, and ETSU, so my final choice was only out of three schools totals. Comparatively, Memphis is the top program out of my three (#24 in the nation according to http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/pathology-rankings), and I absolutely LOVED their new facilities. Every professor I came into contact with was extremely cordial and personal, but I could tell that they were serious about their academics and would push us to be top students in the field. Plus, I have known many peers who have gone to school in Memphis and have absolutely loved both the school and the city. In-state tuition is a big plus, but even if I was an out of state student I believe I still would have been attracted to UM! 

• 2 years later...