Rutgers Camden Psychology Program

little_wing

I have just been admitted into the Rutgers-Camden's MA psychology program.  Can anyone provide any insight as to if this program is solid in preparation for a PhD program?  Any insight on this program would be greatly appreciated!   

I also have reservations about attending school in Camden, as I am familiar with Camden's dangerous reputation.  Can anyone attest to this campus' safety?  

So any MA program at a relatively decent university that will allow you to do research will prepare you for a PhD program.

I lived nearby Camden for a time and have lots of family still there. Out of all the areas in Camden the neighborhood that Rutgers is in is one of the least sketchy - near the waterfront and the attempted revitalization - but that's a relative term. I certainly would never live there - I'd rent an apartment in a different town and commute. Undecided on whether I'd attend; it would really depend on the department and my other options. But this is a place I would never be comfortable leaving late at night after some hours in the lab or a place where I feel me and lab-mates could grab drinks after class or something. I used to ride into the Walter Rand Transportation Center from New York to visit my cousins when I still lived in NYC - same neighborhood, about a half-mile from Rutgers-Camden - and if a bus/train was going to get there after 10 pm I just waited to leave until the next morning. And my cousin would always make sure she was waiting there when I got there so I wouldn't have to stand around in Camden. I have cousins who are pretty rough and they steer clear of Camden, so...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am currently in the MA program at Rutgers Camden. Despite all the reservations about going to school in Camden, I have yet to regret the decision to do so in the least! The program in psychology, is wonderful overall (of course, as with any program you will have some quirky things come up, but nothing in my experience worth leaving a negative impact). The program has plenty of opportunities for funding and research once you get in, that you may not have been aware of beforehand (which is always a pleasant surprise). For the most part, faculty here are very collaborative and open to working with one another and grad students. Professors are very knowledgeable in their fields, and they ultimately will be a major source of your feelings toward the program. It is super important to assess your fit with the professors and their research, and to try and get this figured out well in advance (not necessary, but will make for a more pleasant experience). Looking forwards to potentially meeting you new cohort members if you ultimately decide to become a Scarlet Raptor! Just for my own curious mind, any of you know what area of study/professor seems to be the best fit for you and your goals?

Best wishes!