New York Medical College Fall 2016

Hi guys!

Is anyone strongly considering going to NY Medical college? I wanted to start a topic so those who have been admitted can start talking! Would you guys be commuting or staying on campus? Anyone debating between this school and another?

Nicole

A family member who is interested in medical SLP is seriously considering NY Medical College.  Did you apply to a CUNY school, and if so, do you think you would choose a CUNY for the lower tuition over NYMC?  Such a tough decision...

6 hours ago, SLPfan said:

A family member who is interested in medical SLP is seriously considering NY Medical College.  Did you apply to a CUNY school, and if so, do you think you would choose a CUNY for the lower tuition over NYMC?  Such a tough decision...

Hi! I did not apply to a CUNY school. I applied to Hofstra, Adelphi, NYU, Teacher's College at Columbia, and NYMC. From what I have heard from other people, most students say that going to a school with lower tuition is a better decision. For me, I am interested in medical speech pathology so I am comparing programs compared to their curriculum, specialty tracks, and clinical placements. 

Nicole, although family member did not apply to MGH, I did do a course-by-course comparison between NYMC's and MGH's (neurogenic track) curriculum and they were very similar.  MGH covered a couple of extra literacy courses and NYMC covered slightly more medically-oriented courses. NYMC also covered a seminar in counseling that I didn't notice in MGH's curriculum.  They both also require 70+ credits to graduate.  With NYMC, you also graduate with TSSLD certification, which you'll need to teach in NYC or do any hospital work that receives any gov funding, as I understand it.  Other than that, I would say, go to the one that you prefer.  They are both expensive without funding.  If you got a scholarship to MGH, that is very hard to pass up, not to mention it has an excellent reputation.

On a side note, everyone says to go with the less expensive option, but not sure how much it applies if you're interested in working in a medical setting.  Have you heard about NYMC's reputation among employers?  Are their graduates usually sought after for medical SLP work in NYC?

1 hour ago, SLPfan said:

Nicole, although family member did not apply to MGH, I did do a course-by-course comparison between NYMC's and MGH's (neurogenic track) curriculum and they were very similar.  MGH covered a couple of extra literacy courses and NYMC covered slightly more medically-oriented courses. NYMC also covered a seminar in counseling that I didn't notice in MGH's curriculum.  They both also require 70+ credits to graduate.  With NYMC, you also graduate with TSSLD certification, which you'll need to teach in NYC or do any hospital work that receives any gov funding, as I understand it.  Other than that, I would say, go to the one that you prefer.  They are both expensive without funding.  If you got a scholarship to MGH, that is very hard to pass up, not to mention it has an excellent reputation.

On a side note, everyone says to go with the less expensive option, but not sure how much it applies if you're interested in working in a medical setting.  Have you heard about NYMC's reputation among employers?  Are their graduates usually sought after for medical SLP work in NYC?

Yes I agree I think the NYMC curriculum is more medical based than MGH. I know MGH does spend more time on literacy. The cons I had with MGH were the literacy focus, the fact that grad students work in dyads with 1 client (I would not like to rely on another student's work when working with clients), and that housing is not provided. However, even though NYMC and MGH have the same number of credits, MGH has one semester longer for graduate students to complete the program in compared to NYMC. 

MGH has a great reputation since it is rated in the 10% of speech pathology schools in the country but I don't know if that would get me a job in NY compared to students who completed their Master's in state with the TSSLD.

Thanks so much for your input. It's definitely a hard decision and I am still so torn between both. If your family member has any questions about the application process, NYMC interview, etc. feel free to message me. 

Thanks Nicole!  Good luck with your decision.  I'm sure it will work out for the best in the end.

FWIW, the 2016 US News and World Report ranking of SLP programs is out and MGH moved up in the rankings to #7.  NYMC remained fairly steady at #53.  In case rankings matter to you. :)

Edited by SLPfan

On 3/16/2016 at 8:40 PM, CMD2494 said:

MGH has a great reputation since it is rated in the 10% of speech pathology schools in the country but I don't know if that would get me a job in NY compared to students who completed their Master's in state with the TSSLD.

I am battling with a similar decision. I am fairly torn between the University of Washington's MedSLP program, Temple, and Queens College (if I get in). I was also accepted to Hofstra with funding, but I don't know that it's a contender for me. Ultimately, my fiance and I want to settle in Philadelphia, so Temple would seem like the logical choice. But I really feel that the UW MedSLP program would be the best fit for me. I worry about finding a CFY placement back east if I attend school out west. If it makes you feel better, one of my supervisors at Mount Sinai Beth Israel explained that she knew she wanted to end up working in medical speech-language pathology in New York but she chose BU because she felt that program was the best fit for her. This is what she had to say about New York medical placements: "I remember that it was difficult for me initially to get a job in the hospitals in NYC right after grad school because a lot of them do not take Clinical Fellows. Going to school where you might want to end up might give you opportunities to make connections through your placements and networking that could potentially lead you to a job- but that is not necessarily a guarantee and shouldn’t deter you from going somewhere else." Also, the department chair at the college where I have taken some of my prerequisites said that the candidate matters more than the school's location. In the end, what seems to matter is whether or not an employer thinks you will be a good clinician, so I personally think you should choose a program that gives you the most clinical opportunities in the setting you want to find employment.

3 hours ago, kc1m2l8c said:

I am battling with a similar decision. I am fairly torn between the University of Washington's MedSLP program, Temple, and Queens College (if I get in). I was also accepted to Hofstra with funding, but I don't know that it's a contender for me. Ultimately, my fiance and I want to settle in Philadelphia, so Temple would seem like the logical choice. But I really feel that the UW MedSLP program would be the best fit for me. I worry about finding a CFY placement back east if I attend school out west. If it makes you feel better, one of my supervisors at Mount Sinai Beth Israel explained that she knew she wanted to end up working in medical speech-language pathology in New York but she chose BU because she felt that program was the best fit for her. This is what she had to say about New York medical placements: "I remember that it was difficult for me initially to get a job in the hospitals in NYC right after grad school because a lot of them do not take Clinical Fellows. Going to school where you might want to end up might give you opportunities to make connections through your placements and networking that could potentially lead you to a job- but that is not necessarily a guarantee and shouldn’t deter you from going somewhere else." Also, the department chair at the college where I have taken some of my prerequisites said that the candidate matters more than the school's location. In the end, what seems to matter is whether or not an employer thinks you will be a good clinician, so I personally think you should choose a program that gives you the most clinical opportunities in the setting you want to find employment.

@kc1m2l8c I would choose the school that you find is a better fit. For me, I think that is what I will be doing. Have you spoken to anyone who has attended both schools? I used linkedin to look up Alumni and that has helped me to see the amount of experience and the type of placements they have. I spoke to a girl who is only in her 2nd semester at NYMC and she has already seen clients at New York Methodist Hospital, Westchester Medical Center, Westchester Institute for Human Development (WIHD), Speech and Language Partners (campus clinic), Behavioral Health Center (inpatient hospital for psychiatric care), completed audiology rotations, and completed infant newborn screenings.

20 hours ago, CMD2494 said:

@kc1m2l8c I would choose the school that you find is a better fit. For me, I think that is what I will be doing. Have you spoken to anyone who has attended both schools? I used linkedin to look up Alumni and that has helped me to see the amount of experience and the type of placements they have. I spoke to a girl who is only in her 2nd semester at NYMC and she has already seen clients at New York Methodist Hospital, Westchester Medical Center, Westchester Institute for Human Development (WIHD), Speech and Language Partners (campus clinic), Behavioral Health Center (inpatient hospital for psychiatric care), completed audiology rotations, and completed infant newborn screenings.

@CMD2494 That's what I'm hoping to do as well. I've spoken to students at each school except Temple. I'm attending Temple's orientation next week, so I should be able to speak to students there. I did something similar on LinkedIn (also to see whether there was mobility from state to state after completing a grad program). It sounds like the girl you spoke with has had amazing experiences very early in the program.