How Hard is it?

jeanietwo

Hello All,

I kind of just wanted a general opinion as to how hard the GRE is compared to tests like the SAT and ACT. I wasn't originally planning on going to grad school, but it looks like a chance. I am pursuing a degree in Computer science/business administration and don't know if I will be prepared enough to be able to take on the Masters level of CS. I wanted to have a concentration in Cybersecurity at the USC Viterbi school of engineering since I am doing my undergraduate studies there, but am not sure it it is a viable option.

It's kind of hard to compare... but I personally remember the ACT and GRE to be about the same in difficulty level for the particular time in my life.... but they are very different tests. The GRE is really more testing your ability to reason out problems, read with comprehension, and then the breadth of your vocabulary. Whereas, the college entrance tests were really more testing whether you learned what you were supposed to in high school. 

Some people really struggle... some people don't. I took a couple practice tests and printed out some vocabulary and mostly studied while on vacation right before. Some people study for months and just struggle with the tests platform. Take some practice tests and figure out what kind of person you are. There are plenty of practice test books for ~$10-15

I tutor GRE, SAT, and ACT, and the GRE and SAT are most similar. In fact, up until this year, they were both written by the same company, ETS (which still writes the GRE). 

Getting good at the test is a combination of acquiring fundamental skills (reading, vocabulary, writing, math), thinking skills (reasoning, logic, critical thinking), and test familiarity (format, rules the test plays by, techniques for certain question types). 

I never took the SAT or ACT, and it's been a long time since I last took the GRE. But the available practice tests gave me a good idea of what to expect on the real thing. I felt I had to brush up on math so I wouldn't thoroughly embarrass myself (even though I was applying to history programs), but I did well on the first try.

So do as many practice tests as you can get your hands on, until you feel confident in your ability to identify what they're asking and give the best answer.

That said, some people are better at taking those sorts of computer-assisted tests than others. I know that for myself, I have an easier time reading printed materials than those on a screen, and being able to scribble notes on paper helps me think more clearly. Some people get anxious when they're stumped by a question, and have a hard time winging an answer before moving on to the next. Others get really anxious when there's a clock ticking down, and that can mess with your thinking ability.

Since I dislike computerized tests, I made sure to take the GRE early (in the spring, months before application deadlines), and told myself that if I didn't do well on the first try, it was perfectly okay to take it again. I took that first attempt seriously, because who really wants to take a test twice if you don't have to? But knowing I had plenty of time to re-take it, and that I would know better what to expect the next time, really helped me relax and focus. 

In my opinion, it's both easier and harder than the SAT/ACT. 

Content-wise, the GRE is easier. HOWEVER,  the computer adaptive nature of the GRE pretty much ensures that EVERYONE struggles. 

As others have suggested, take an official practice test (  https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/prepare/powerprep2 ) to see where you stand. 

Cheers,

Brent - Greenlight Test Prep

2 hours ago, Brent@GreenlightGRE said:

In my opinion, it's both easier and harder than the SAT/ACT. 

Content-wise, the GRE is easier. HOWEVER,  the computer adaptive nature of the GRE pretty much ensures that EVERYONE struggles. 

This is right in line with my experience. Overall, I found the exam easier than the SAT/ACT, but I underestimated the difficulty of the second (adapted) math section. I did a few problems out of a book the week of the exam to prepare, but – because I waited until the night before to take it and was interrupted – I didn't finish a full practice test, so I wasn't fully prepared for the level of the questions. 

Taking a full, official practice test is a good place to start, like everyone else has said, and will give you an idea of where you stand. 

It's pretty much the same as the ACT/SAT but I haven't taken the ACT in years. I was told the GRE is harder, but there are a lot of apps and test preps that you can do to help study. Good luck :)

• 4 weeks later...