Oxford Clarendon Scholarship F16

flatnwhite

anyone else get into a program in the social science division and was nominated for the clarendon? i learned that last year, the website changed on apr 3 to say that the majority of successful nominees had been notified. so perhaps this topic would be wildly unproductive way to spend the next couple of weeks waiting.

personally, i'd love to know how many nominees departments/programs can have, and what proportion of these nominees are awarded. 

Edited by flatnwhite

6 hours ago, flatnwhite said:

anyone else get into a program in the social science division and was nominated for the clarendon? i learned that last year, the website changed on apr 3 to say that the majority of successful nominees had been notified. so perhaps this topic would be wildly unproductive way to spend the next couple of weeks waiting.

personally, i'd love to know how many nominees departments/programs can have, and what proportion of these nominees are awarded. 

Do not count on this. I do not think it is likely to get. It is more likely that you will need to pay for your education in Oxford, regardless of whether you are getting into a D.Phil or master of some kind.

In order to get the Clarendon, you will need to first have a college that is willing to offer the matching fund for your course. Depending on which college you are allocated to, if your college is unable to provide matching fund for your course, I can pretty much say for sure that you are not going to get the matching fund. If you cannot get the matching fund from your college, by no means can you get the Clarendon, because the matching funding is a necessary condition for a Clarendon Scholarship to be awarded. 

Some colleges consistently DO NOT support certain courses financially by not providing the matching fund for certain courses. I have no idea about which course you are in. So, I think it would be more helpful for you to check your college's website to see to which courses the matching funds of the college go, and then you will have a pretty good idea about whether you can get Clarendon or not.

On 17/3/2016 at 1:16 PM, flatnwhite said:

Wahou. That was pretty harsh and definitive HistoricalLinguist.

Flatnwhite, I would not worry if I were you :) Clarendon funding is not gone before the end of March so we've got two weeks. I'm in the MML faculty and there is usually one and sometimes 2 DPhil who are funded each year. They said that, if successful, I should hear about them in the next two weeks. If you want to do stats, look at Clarendon website: there is a list of Clarendon scholars with the year of entry and subject, you can then estimate how many students in your course get a Clarendon scholarship each year! And don't worry about your college: I don't have one yet, like most people, which means that, if you are allocated a Clarendon scholarship, they will allocate you one college that does accept to give matching funds :)

Hey, thanks so much for your generous replies! It is great to hear your ideas and to see that others have had to think about this byzantine process as I have had to myself. 

historicallinguist: i am still hopeful, if cautiously so! i don't think it is entirely so doom-and-gloom, even though the competition is STIFF. and, from what i have learned, i think MarieC's got the right of it: the division selects beneficiaries, then pairs them with partnering colleges conditional on the courses offered and the fit with fellows' interests. for example, a few colleges explicitly say on their scholarship information page that an admit who accepts their clarendon funding, even if they've been admitted to a different college, will need to migrate in order to receive the award. i think it is unlikely that a nominee would be admitted to a given college before the clarendon decisions were made. it seems to me that colleges would vouch monies to the clarendon fund in order to get the best candidates. then, after each college has won/bought/been paired with their best-fit nominees, the rest of the college places are filled by the students who are self-funded or who come with outside money.

MarieC, it looks like we've used similar strategies. i searched the database and learned the frequencies of awards per year in my department, as well as the frequency awards per year in my department at the college i'd like to be admitted to. advanced search works for filtering on college names. note of caution: the database holds about 50 per year--about a 3rd of total awards. so the data is quite limited, actually. 

i'd be delighted to hear from you and others as more information becomes available to you. 

Edited by flatnwhite

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there flatnwhite, were you notified when you received an offer of admission that you had been nominated for the Clarendon award?

On 3. April 2016 at 8:29 PM, ipstar said:

Hi there flatnwhite, were you notified when you received an offer of admission that you had been nominated for the Clarendon award?

ipstar, that's just right: the body of the department's email mentioned I had been both admitted and nominated. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this party, but I was awarded (and declined) a Clarendon for my social sciences DPhil during the last admissions cycle. I was an internal candidate, but I didn't find out when I was admitted to the DPhil that I had been nominated for a Clarendon -- notification of my award came several months later, as a very pleasant surprise. They don't take these things lightly, so I would imagine that if they told you about the nomination, your odds of receiving the award are very high.