Teacher's College Fall 2016

@Skymasuko I should definitely be attending admitted students day on April 1st! Excited to see you there! 

In terms of financial aid, I submitted my FAFSA by the March 1st deadline. On "next steps" page of the admitted students website, it says that my FAFSA has been received and that I should get an email when a financial aid award is ready. That's definitely a relief, since I guess it means they just haven't done mine yet. Did you get an email notification of your award @rose6593 ? (Sorry to bother you with all these financial aid questions haha)

34 minutes ago, newspeechie93 said:

@Skymasuko I should definitely be attending admitted students day on April 1st! Excited to see you there! 

In terms of financial aid, I submitted my FAFSA by the March 1st deadline. On "next steps" page of the admitted students website, it says that my FAFSA has been received and that I should get an email when a financial aid award is ready. That's definitely a relief, since I guess it means they just haven't done mine yet. Did you get an email notification of your award @rose6593 ? (Sorry to bother you with all these financial aid questions haha)

Don't worry about all of the questions ? Financial aid is important business at such an expensive school! I did not receive an email. I just went onto the admitted student page and clicked on the financial aid award letter and it was all uploaded on there. I submitted my FAFSA sometime before the March 1st deadline as well. I believe the scholarships that TC offers are separate from FAFSA, the letter tries to show the break downs between what is offered as a scholarship through TC and what are federal grants, loans etc. I'm guessing they just wait to update it until they have the FAFSA complete though even if they have your individual scholarship already figured out. I'm sure it will be coming soon ?

36 minutes ago, newspeechie93 said:

Thank you so much @rose6593. I'll keep checking and hopefully they'll update it soon so I don't go crazy with the waiting haha! Are you thinking of accepting at TC, or are you still deciding between schools?

That's a great question! I have no idea yet. I was offered a pretty big scholarship at TC so it's definitely at the top of my list. I am going to go to the open house and also the one at NYU since it is the same weekend. MGH and the U of M in my hometown are also still on my list. It's hard making a decision! Are you accepting at TC? 

I'll be attending admitted students day :) 

I haven't gotten any financial information yet either and I submitted my FAFSA a couple of weeks ago, I'll probably call the financial aid office tomorrow. 

@rose6593 @newspeechie93 Thanks! Where did you guys find out about the March 1st deadline? I didn't realize there was a deadline for FAFSA.. I thought there was for their scholarships :-/ I'm also planning to attend the NYU admitted student event! Where do you guys plan on staying? I've been trying to find somewhat affordable locations to stay that is accessible to both NYU and TC.  

Edited by Skymasuko

29 minutes ago, Skymasuko said:

@rose6593 @newspeechie93 Thanks! Where did you guys find out about the March 1st deadline? I didn't realize there was a deadline for FAFSA.. I thought there was for their scholarships :-/ I'm also planning to attend the NYU admitted student event! Where do you guys plan on staying? I've been trying to find somewhat affordable locations to stay that is accessible to both NYU and TC.  

To be honest, I think the March 1st deadline was common among most of the schools I applied to, so I just submitted it then haha. As soon as they update my financial aid letter, I'll try and post here so that you can get an idea of when you might get a price estimate from them. Hopefully we'll all hear soon!

Very curious about funding. My financial aid tab hasn't been updated yet. Nervous because there's no way I can attend without some funding. Submitted my FAFSA back in January. Very anxious. Anyone else submit the FAFSA early and still waiting on numbers on the financial aid award letter?

I totally understand how you feel, @js. I emailed the financial aid office, and they sent me back a very helpful email that made me feel a lot better. Basically they said they're still putting packages together haha. I sent my FAFSA in on March 1st, and they said I should hear by the end of the month or by the first week of April at the latest. Since you submitted yours in January, I'm sure you'll hear back even sooner! Don't worry, I'm sure everything will work out for you :) Also, you could definitely go ahead and email or call them, I'm sure they would be happy to give you a timeline about when you'll hear back!

Does anyone know how many credits the Dual Certification Bilingual program is? As well as the Initial Certification program?

1 hour ago, MS said:

Does anyone know how many credits the Dual Certification Bilingual program is? As well as the Initial Certification program?

Initial certification if you have the background is around 50 I believe (2 years with one summer). I am unsure about the dual certification, however they have a great pdf handbook on their website, I can't remember exactly what it is called but it's really helpful and lays out all of the classes you need you take. It's not hard to find, just right on the page for the program! 

18 minutes ago, rose6593 said:

Initial certification if you have the background is around 50 I believe (2 years with one summer). I am unsure about the dual certification, however they have a great pdf handbook on their website, I can't remember exactly what it is called but it's really helpful and lays out all of the classes you need you take. It's not hard to find, just right on the page for the program! 

https://www.tc.columbia.edu/biobehavioral-sciences/communication-sciences-and-disorders/nav-sections/academics/master-of-science/Program-Student-Handbook-2015-2016-Final-9.21.15.pdf

here it is! There's also a student plan handbook from last year, but would probably give you a good idea of what to expect. Hope that helps! 

Is anyone else still waiting on their financial aid award letter? My financial aid tab has still not been updated. 

On 3/20/2016 at 1:24 PM, Skymasuko said:

Are any of you attending the admitted students day? I just booked my flight and hotel! :) 

Also, @rose6593 when did you submit your FAFSA application? I recently submitted mine and that's why I'm thinking I still haven't received an award on my admitted students webpage. 

I submitted my FAFSA before March 1st, I'm not sure about the exact date but it was before the priority deadline. I also am planning to attend the admitted students day!

On March 24, 2016 at 2:36 AM, meep said:

Hi everyone,

I am choosing between Teachers College and a Canadian school (I'm Canadian). While both programs seem to be strong, I am concerned about claims of the diminishing reputation of Teachers College as a whole and how it is somewhat separate from the rest of Columbia University. It does not receive money from Columbia. Funding for students, even for PhD students, does not appear to be a strong suit. There have also been criticisms about the academic quality (although I haven't heard anything negative for SLP) of Teachers College and how students do not recieve much individualized support. In addition, people do not seem to have a good time with its administration. At the same time, the Ivy League name implies that the connections one makes and the experience of attending a top-ranked school and living in NYC would be valuable for one's career, although you could argue that other speech path programs would prepare one for the same jobs.

Do you think these are valid points or should I just consider the SLP program by itself without taking Teachers College into account? I am worried that the (possibly purported) negative aspects of Teachers College may trickle down into the speech-language pathology program.
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Hi meep, 

I was waitlisted at TC: I've also read some things online about the administration not being very personal, but not specifically in the SLP program. I would recommend getting in touch with the school directly and asking if you can speak to a current student about the program: they are going to know the most about the how the program is run and what to expect. 

In terms of building connections and the prestige associated with Columbia, I'm not saying a "name school" won't get you a coveted job over some one else, but at the end of the day, clinicians who graduate from ASHA certified programs are pretty much guaranteed work after graduation. 

There is a lot to consider. Best of luck!  

@rose6593 thanks so much for setting up the FB group! Is there any way you could make it private? I'd love to join but can't let some of my Facebook friends (coworkers) see. Either way, looking forward to meeting you at the NYU or TC events this week.

2 hours ago, ei120 said:

@rose6593 thanks so much for setting up the FB group! Is there any way you could make it private? I'd love to join but can't let some of my Facebook friends (coworkers) see. Either way, looking forward to meeting you at the NYU or TC events this week.

Got it! 

On 3/28/2016 at 1:54 PM, ei120 said:

If you guys are having trouble joining the group because of this let me know! I can send the link to join the group privately if needed.