Teacher's College Fall 2016

Hi everyone!

Is anyone else anxiously waiting to hear from Teacher's College Columbia? I thought we would hear back this week but it doesn't look like it! Would you all be living on campus or off?

I've also heard back from the majority of my schools but I would like to hear back from all of them before making a decision! I'm interested to see how they choose acceptances. I know this is the first year that they required GRE scores. 

I am dying to hear back!!! I just logged on to the portal and noticed some strange activity. Suddenly another submitted application popped up with all of materials that says submitted today. Has this happened to anyone else? Does this mean they are looking at my application? This wait is agonizing! 

Looks like they are on spring break, so I think we'll hear news from them until next week. I hope it's good news for all of us! :) 
Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but I've been seeing it all over these forums. The college is called Teachers College. There is no apostrophe. 

OMG CONGRATS! I got accepted too but the letter said " the Admission Committee felt that the Master of Science - Initial Certification in Communication Sciences and Disorders was a better fit at this time." Does anyone know what that means exactly? 

So excited to be accepted to TC!!! Wow what a decision to make now! Anyone with options please share, I would love any information. Top choices right now are NYU, MGH, and TC! Thanks! 

Also anyone know if there's an open house? 

11 minutes ago, MS said:

OMG CONGRATS! I got accepted too but the letter said " the Admission Committee felt that the Master of Science - Initial Certification in Communication Sciences and Disorders was a better fit at this time." Does anyone know what that means exactly? 

Congratulations! Got the same exact thing and it really threw me off at first, but then I realized it was an acceptance. On their website they have 3 different "Master of Science" tracks/degrees.

https://www.tc.columbia.edu/biobehavioral-sciences/communication-sciences-and-disorders/nav-sections/academics/

So the degree is MS-CSDR and the 3 tracks are Initial Certification (IN), Professional Certification (PF), and Bilingual Extension (DU). I don't know what the difference is between "IN" and "PF" but maybe it has to do with out-of-field vs. in-field? Something to email and ask. Either way we got in :) Let me know if you ask and get an answer!

Congratulations everyone!!
I received a similar message. Instead of "Master of Science - Initial Certification in Communication Sciences and Disorders", they accepted me for "Master of Education - Initial Certification in Communication Sciences and Disorders", which doesn't seem to exist haha. Did anyone receive this as well? I'm thinking it may be a typo!

Thank you @limegreen19! That was really helpful. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out. I also found this in the FAQ:

• MS-CSDR: Master of Science is for students who do not plan to obtain teacher certification following graduation
  • MS-CSDR-IN: Master of Science Initial Certification is for students who do plan to obtain teacher certification following graduation
  • MS-CSDB-DU: Master of Science Bilingual Extension - Dual Certification is for students who plan to obtain teacher certification following graduation and also plan to complete the bilingual extension
  • MS-CSDR-PF: Master of Science Professional Certification is for students who have extensive professional teaching certification and who already have NY state teacher certification.

So maybe it isn't necessarily a longer program?

My letter didn't have anything about funding either, @flapjackal. I went to the admitted students website  (there's a link in the acceptance letter). Under the "next steps" section it says that "you will be notified via email if you have received a scholarship award from the college." It also says that they don't give financial aid packages until mid-March (which is now?). I've submitted my FAFSA but haven't heard anything from them about that--I may contact the financial aid department soon. 

I feel the same way as you--I'm really excited about the program and really would love to go, but I don't know if I'd be able to do it without any aid at all. 

Does anyone know if there will be an open house for TC? I was hoping to attend the one for NYU, but if TC is also having one and there are cheaper flights that weekend it would be tempting to go then :) 

52 minutes ago, SLPCeli said:

The open house is April 1st! You can sign up via the portal where you got the acceptance! 

Yes, I just realized that! Thank you! I viewed my acceptance letter on my phone and missed that detail that linked us to the accepted student page! Thanks again!

Has anyone looked into their financial aid award letter on the admitted student page? I am a bit confused on how it is all laid out and am curious if everyone receives a large scholarship or what is to be expected from them. 

I know there are only a few applying... But has anyone heard back from the Arts Administration program yet? I submitted my application on January 8th and have been waiting ever since. I found two acceptances on the results page and that worries me A LOT. Arts Administration at TC Columbia is my top choice and I really really would love to go there.

Hi @rose6593, I just checked my financial aid award letter on the admitted students webpage, but it didn't have any numbers in it (except for the cost of tuition haha). I don't know if this means that they gave me no financial aid, or if they haven't updated my letter yet. Very anxious. I'll probably call them tomorrow. Did your letter contain an actual aid award?

30 minutes ago, newspeechie93 said:

Hi @rose6593, I just checked my financial aid award letter on the admitted students webpage, but it didn't have any numbers in it (except for the cost of tuition haha). I don't know if this means that they gave me no financial aid, or if they haven't updated my letter yet. Very anxious. I'll probably call them tomorrow. Did your letter contain an actual aid award?

Yes mine did have a financial aid award. Both the scholarship from TC and the FAFSA portion I believe. The first day I checked my letter though it was the same as yours, it took about a day after I was accepted for it to be updated. I'm sure it's coming for you! There's no way they didn't offer you anything, I would imagine everyone at least is offered loans! However I am unfamiliar with how financial aid works from school to school. 

Are any of you attending the admitted students day? I just booked my flight and hotel! :) 

Also, @rose6593 when did you submit your FAFSA application? I recently submitted mine and that's why I'm thinking I still haven't received an award on my admitted students webpage. 

Edited by Skymasuko