Deadline is Friday, no response from professor.

tem11

One of my writers is nearly a week late now on making the early deadline. I sent another email two days ago, and no reply.

I'm starting to get more than a little apprehensive, because I want to call admissions after she submits it to just make sure that they have received absolutely everything they need from me so I can totally close that application out in my mind and just forget about it until I hear the results. Not to mention now I want to ask them if I will still be considered as an early applicant so I can get an earlier decision.

This is what I'm worried about right now. One of my deadlines determines some funding and I made that clear to the LOR. Exactly one more week till d-day for me.

Yeah the thing I find surprising is that this recommender is the one who has seemed the most interested/involved from the beginning, and who I have been in contact with the most over the last several months. She also is the one who has shown the most interest in writing me a dead solid letter, and several weeks ago said she had started on my letters. Now I haven't heard from her, so I hope everything is ok.

The school actually emailed me today out of the blue to tell me that her letter is missing, as if to suggest they were getting ready to process my application and send it off for review. I replied and asked if I can still be considered for an early decision if she gets it in soon and they said the adcom will begin reviewing by late next week so at the latest it has to be in by then to be considered. Still no word from my recommender, and looking back through my email the last I heard from her was November 19th so I'm not sure what's going on, or if everything's ok.

The school actually emailed me today out of the blue to tell me that her letter is missing, as if to suggest they were getting ready to process my application and send it off for review. I replied and asked if I can still be considered for an early decision if she gets it in soon and they said the adcom will begin reviewing by late next week so at the latest it has to be in by then to be considered. Still no word from my recommender, and looking back through my email the last I heard from her was November 19th so I'm not sure what's going on, or if everything's ok.

Flash backs of horror for me. The same thing happened to me last year with one school who flat out said that they will not review my application without it. I got accepted into 2 schools with a missing LOR and accepted into another if I could just produce a 3rd LOR. I'm not sure what it is with Professors and going missing when we need the LOR submitted. I would hope everything is okay and that she probably just became really busy (finals coming up?). I would try to get in contact with her by any means necessary and explain the situation. Good luck to you and I hope she does submit it in time.

It just seems peculiar because last time I heard from her, she asked if I had sent my stuff off because if not she had some comments for me on my essays; I replied that I had not sent them off and would love to hear any comments, but that was the last I heard from her so I had to finish my stuff off and send it. Something went awry, but I'm not sure how much is too much. I emailed her 3 or 4 days ago, and I'm thinking I'll give it the weekend and if I don't hear back I'll send the online recommendation notice and see if that works...?

I'm pretty sure her letter is the strongest by far too if our prior contact is any indicator.

Edited by gazelle

I'm in a similar position to some of the people in this thread and I wish I could offer some advice but I can't! My referee replied to one email out of about a dozen that I sent over a 10 week or so period. That email was to say they'd mail off a reference the next day, which they never did. That deadline came and went and still nothing. I left phone messages, I arranged for notes to be placed in their pigeon hole, and I even got through to them on the phone one day and got an assurance that everything was okay. Yet this person still has not gotten the most important reference to me - one that needed to be on done on paper, and for which the deadline was earliest. Luckily, I already submitted 2 references to that program (theirs was an optional 3rd, but one that I still really wanted) and they *seem* to be doing the other references as the deadlines come up.

But isn't it just so bizarre? Why not email to say they're doing them? Wouldn't they rather get back to us and put our minds at rest than get pestered by us incessantly? Can you think of any other occupation where you'd be able to get away with this kind of laziness? It really is rude and incredibly unprofessional. It makes me especially angry to think of the enormous amount of money I've spent on this process (fees, GRE, transcripts, international postage) and the extra year I'll have to wait for the next opportunity to apply.

Unfortunately I think that there's really no accountability in academia when it comes to things like this and, in any case, if there was then we'd be really taking a risk by complaining (we still need them for the reference they agreed to give in the first place!).

Grrr! That rant felt good! :)

I'm really trying not to stress out. Harvard let me register 4 recommendations and 3 of those 4 have submitted, so even if this prof doesn't get his in, at least I still have the minimum 3. Princeton though, only let me register 3 so if he doesn't submit, I will be down a letter...arrrrrgh.

But isn't it just so bizarre? Why not email to say they're doing them? Wouldn't they rather get back to us and put our minds at rest than get pestered by us incessantly? Can you think of any other occupation where you'd be able to get away with this kind of laziness? It really is rude and incredibly unprofessional. It makes me especially angry to think of the enormous amount of money I've spent on this process (fees, GRE, transcripts, international postage) and the extra year I'll have to wait for the next opportunity to apply.

Unfortunately I think that there's really no accountability in academia when it comes to things like this and, in any case, if there was then we'd be really taking a risk by complaining (we still need them for the reference they agreed to give in the first place!).

That sort of behavior is unprofessional, and you're right that there isn't a single thing we can do about it. (Although I would guess there are students out there with a no fear attitude that have given professors an earful for this very thing.) If you agree to make a professional reference for someone you should follow through. The problem is, it is in fact a favor. They don't have to do it, and nothing puts them under obligation to do so. No consequences if they don't follow through. I certainly can't advocate forcing that to become a part of their job description, but I think the whole LOR bit is a little troublesome and can set up serious roadblocks for people who would otherwise be excellent candidates for grad school.

So like a lot of you out there, I am getting nervous about one of my LORs, who hasn't responded to me since the first time, back in October, when he initially agreed to write a letter for me. Fortunately, I only need his letter for one of the schools, however, it's for the University of Michigan, and on their website they have this to say about their deadlines:

What is the deadline for application submission?

The application deadline is December 15th. All materials (including letters of recommendation and transcripts) must be in our office by December 15. No exceptions will be made.

So, I'm wondering if all of the comments above, regarding the apparent leeway schools give for late LORs, doesn't apply to Michigan. I want to call tomorrow to ask about this, but I worry that whoever I speak to in the department will say something along the lines of "didn't you read our website, we make it very clear that you have to have everything in by December 15".

Anyone here have any experiences with Michigan? I'm wondering particularly about sociology, since I looked around and other departments (eg. Poli Sci) don't sound as strict on their websites.

Also, what is the etiquette when it comes to calling professors? I am in Canada, and this professor is at a U.S. school, so I would have to track his phone number down from the internet...it would feel weird calling him...I don't want to come across as a stalker. But I have emailed him several times, and have heard nothing!

I hear you, Maya.

I think it's apt to call your LOR writer. A lot of what you say will depend on how close you are with him/her.

I ran into a similar situation once and called my recommender in his office and on his cell (we're pretty close; I knew him growing up, and I worked for him for 2 years). When I couldn't get through, I left a message saying that I wanted to speak to him about a rec letter. I also called his secretary and left a message, to the effect that I wanted to speak to my recommender ASAP. Within 10 minutes of my messages, I received an email from my recommender stating that he had completed the letter and sent it out that day.

In my own experience, I've found that most LOR writers who have been supportive of you in the past will pull through. When they go MIA, it's mostly because they're busy with their daily work, which includes their research, teaching, and giving and grading exams, especially at this time of the year. They haven't forgotten you; it's just that your email has been clumped together with a hundred other things that are equally urgent to them. I know, a simple "OK, will send the letter soon" or something to that effect would put us at ease, but I've known quite a few professors who read and internalize the emails they receive without replying to the sender.

Hope my experience helps somewhat. Lots of luck in contacting your LOR writer tomorrow!

Definitely call, Maya. It wouldn't be weird at all - it's a perfectly reasonable thing to do, as this person hasn't replied to your emails. You should call and be very friendly and polite. Just say you're calling to double check that everything is OK with the reference - then remind them of the deadline. Maybe say you're calling all of your referees, so as not to single them out. Are their office hours posted on the internet? If you can't get through - you could call the faculty office and ask them to put an note in the person's pigeon hole/in tray. They should see that.

I know that you'll be concerned about being irritating - I was too. But, at the end of the day, it's just a part of their job and it won't be seen as irritating behaviour. In any job you get people contacting you and making requests of you all the time. You won't stand out as being particularly hectoring! Plus - it's way too important for you to risk! If Michigan says that there is no exceptions then you should probably take that literally unless you hear differently from them. If you weigh up the awkwardness of calling against the frustration that would result from your application getting binned over this, I think you'll arrive at a sensible conclusion as to what to do!

Good luck. Hope you have more success than I've been having ;)

Thanks for your responses fancypants09 and LordNorth. I called the MIA letter writer today, no answer but left a voicemail. I also called the soc department at Umichigan and they said that they won't read my app if my application is incomplete tomorrow.

Ugh.

Thanks for your responses fancypants09 and LordNorth. I called the MIA letter writer today, no answer but left a voicemail. I also called the soc department at Umichigan and they said that they won't read my app if my application is incomplete tomorrow.

Ugh.

Not to scare you or anything, but this is the reason why I am reapplying. All my applications were missing that last LOR and most of the departments said that they will not review my application without it. Sadly, I am going with the same LOR this year because he assured me that he will have it finished early and ready whenever I need it. Well...I need it now or by tomorrow and still nothing. Am I wrong for trusting him again?

Not to scare you or anything, but this is the reason why I am reapplying. All my applications were missing that last LOR and most of the departments said that they will not review my application without it. Sadly, I am going with the same LOR this year because he assured me that he will have it finished early and ready whenever I need it. Well...I need it now or by tomorrow and still nothing. Am I wrong for trusting him again?

THATS SO IRRITATING

i know you said you were RA for him like, youve helped them out now they just have to do this small thiing for you which is a big deal for your academic future

but i know the trust thing

ive been told to leave my current superivsor by so many peoplea nd wehn i go to do it i just cnat its jsut a messy awk i have faith in him relaitonship

blehhh!

i woudl go nuts find out where he lives harass his department friends

My final letter is still MIA. Granted Dec. 4th was only the early deadline, it's still a little unsettling as I've heard nothing. I emailed last Thursday/Friday but haven't heard any word, and it's not Tuesday here in Japan. I'm not sure how long I should wait until I send the automated email reminder from the school's system, since it is the early deadline? I'm thinking it's still not a huge deal, although the school emailed me to tell me it needs to be in before the end of this week if I am to be considered for early admission notification, and starting next week it's Christmas and everything, so this week sort of is the last real workable week before everything ramps up with the end of the year and into the deadline.

Thoughts?

Same here. The early deadline (and the deadline for funding consideration) was Dec 1. Two of my writers got theirs in the day before the deadline. One of them didn't get his in at all. I've e-mailed him three times now and not a word in reply. I'm going to call but I just wish he'd respond and just say that it's late. Instead of just pretending - what? - that the e-mail didn't go through?

My final letter is still MIA. Granted Dec. 4th was only the early deadline, it's still a little unsettling as I've heard nothing. I emailed last Thursday/Friday but haven't heard any word, and it's not Tuesday here in Japan. I'm not sure how long I should wait until I send the automated email reminder from the school's system, since it is the early deadline? I'm thinking it's still not a huge deal, although the school emailed me to tell me it needs to be in before the end of this week if I am to be considered for early admission notification, and starting next week it's Christmas and everything, so this week sort of is the last real workable week before everything ramps up with the end of the year and into the deadline.

Thoughts?

When you initially asked for the letter, did you tell your LOR writer that December 4th was the deadline, or that it was just the early deadline? I'd be more worried if you told the LOR writer that December 4th was THE deadline but s/he has not yet replied.

I'd suggest that you call your LOR writer also...I know that the time difference makes it difficult, but I wouldn't rely solely on emails if your LOR writer hasn't been responsive.

My apps are due early January so I have some time, but I'm planning to email reminders to all my recommenders on Friday--the last day of the semester at my alma mater before winter break.

The frustrating part for me is that I did tell him the deadline and got an email back saying "don't worry, I will have them all in on time". Deadline is tomorrow now and nothing yet! He is in the UK so I will go to bed tonight hoping that when I wake up, he'll have submitted the letters.

On another note, I have another letter writer who is confusing me a bit. She has been totally on top of every application, submitting the letters almost instantly after I send her address to teh school. However, there is one application that I submitted a few weeks ago that she has still not submitted the letter for. There is no deadline, so that's not the problem. I'm just worried the email got lost in her inbox or something. I thought maybe she has just been busy, but I submitted another app last night and lo and behold she put that letter in 10 min after I submitted. Does anyone have an idea on how to send a polite email saying something along the lines of "thanks for doing all these other ones so promptly, but I think you forgot about Edinburgh"??

Thoughts?

honestly these are desperate times

i could use the automated email reminder

and i woudl spam there inbox if i cant meet them in person/phone them

The frustrating part for me is that I did tell him the deadline and got an email back saying "don't worry, I will have them all in on time". Deadline is tomorrow now and nothing yet! He is in the UK so I will go to bed tonight hoping that when I wake up, he'll have submitted the letters.

On another note, I have another letter writer who is confusing me a bit. She has been totally on top of every application, submitting the letters almost instantly after I send her address to teh school. However, there is one application that I submitted a few weeks ago that she has still not submitted the letter for. There is no deadline, so that's not the problem. I'm just worried the email got lost in her inbox or something. I thought maybe she has just been busy, but I submitted another app last night and lo and behold she put that letter in 10 min after I submitted. Does anyone have an idea on how to send a polite email saying something along the lines of "thanks for doing all these other ones so promptly, but I think you forgot about Edinburgh"??

I would write her the exact sentence you just wrote, in a slightly more deferential tone--something like, "in checking on my applications, I've noticed that your letter for School X is missing. I'd appreciate it if you would send me a confirmation after you have sent the letter."

BTW I'm with you on this one. I'm applying to 2 schools, and 2 of my LOR writers have sent in rec letters to one of the schools only. I know they're both the types to use the same letters (or slightly modified versions) for all of my applications, and it's bugging me to no end that they haven't sent in their letters to the second school! Going to sit on my hands for a bit though seeing as I have a few weeks until the application deadline, and I don't want to come off annoying when they're working on grading finals and all that jazz.

I did indeed tell the writer that it was just the early deadline, but I'm nervous as I haven't heard anything from her since November 19th when she last asked if I would like to hear comments on my essays, as I hadn't sent them off. I said sure I would love to, but never heard back.

Since early admissions decisions start this week, I did go ahead and send the system reminder from the online setup, so maybe this will help.

Hi Guys,

I've been following this thread very closely the past few days and like most of you, I've been panicking over 2 of my LORs and the professors who never reply my emails. I finally picked up the phone to call one of my Prof. to remind him that Stanford requires their letters TODAY at 9PM (This is after sending 2 emails reminding him the same thing). The only thing he told me was he understands that I'm stressed (damn straight!) about his lack of response but he has his way of organizing things. He assured me that reviews dont usually begin until after the new year despite my telling him that Stanford requires applications to be complete by 12/15/09 before they can be reviewed.

If that is going to be his attitude, then there's honestly nothing else I can do but hope what he says is true. I'm really tired of getting worried about something I cannot control...

For all of you out there whose applications are also due today, I wish you all the best and hope the professors know what they're doing...

I was hoping that when I woke up this morning that my LOR would have been submitted. I don't know what I will do if it isn't turned in on time. For the applications that shows if there has been any activity made by the LOR still shows that "...has not started".

I was hoping that when I woke up this morning that my LOR would have been submitted. I don't know what I will do if it isn't turned in on time. For the applications that shows if there has been any activity made by the LOR still shows that "...has not started".

Saaaaaaame here.

joro, I'm so sorry. I can't believe this person has done this to you TWO years in a row. (I remember seeing that on one of your earlier posts.) Is there anyway to constantly bug them today to get it done? If your schools enforce the deadline when it comes to LORs, and won't consider your app if it's late, I don't think it's uncalled for if you were to put some serious, serious pressure on this writer...especially after last year, and he/she guaranteed you they would get it done this year before the deadline.