Master's Application Timeline - Later than PhD?

MarkE

I'm getting very confused as to when I must submit my application for Master's programs.  It seems like people are already getting acceptance or rejection letters and I haven't even submitted an application yet.  Additionally, the schools I am applying to all have deadlines in the summer, ranging from June to August.  Are they just formal deadlines and in reality those who submit it earlier have a greater chance of acceptance?

It seems like most of this website is dedicated to PhD applicants, so I'm curious if most posts are only referring to PhD programs.  Or are there multiple waves and I would be aiming for the last wave before the semester starts?

I know some Master's programs do have earlier deadlines.  What worries me is one of the schools I want to apply to told me I should get my application in by April if I want a good shot, even though their deadline isn't until June.  Is that just them making it easier on their administrative staff, or should I really push myself to get everything in within the next week (resulting in less than ideal SoP and GRE scores).

It could be that some of the schools you are looking at have rolling admissions. I have found that many of the people here are applying to masters programs and its an even mix so the advice and questions are still applicable to you.

If you are really considering a program and are concerned, you can always call the admissions staff and ask them some questions. They will know better than anyone here and are often quite helpful.

Many master's programs have deadlines at the same time as PhD programs because they consider everyone for admission and funding at the same time. Those with June deadlines typically don't offer funding, so it's less of an issue in that sense. If they want your application in earlier, do it. It could be because of rolling admissions, internal funding deadlines, or some other factor which you can't know.