Chance of acceptence into University of Toronto

polarbear123

Question

I am thinking of applying to the university of Toronto's MSc Biostatistics program for fall 2017. However, I am from the u.s. and have read that applying to u of t for masters is similar to applying for a Phd here so I don't want to get my hopes up. If any others with experience on this could please help me get a better idea of my chance of acceptance.

I'm currently majoring in statistics, my overall GPA is 3.4, major GPA is 3.5. I noticed they look at last 5 senior level courses though, which depending on fall course grades I believe could range from a 3.5-3.8 GPA. I also will have completed a thesis as an undergrad through a honors in the major program and will have a year of experience as a clinical data analyst by the time I apply. 

I have noticed two people have already been rejected from this program, and that international acceptance is very limited. So do you think my chance of acceptance is low(probably?), moderate(possibly?), or high(lol)? and should I turn my focus to Biostatistics programs elsewhere?

Edited by polarbear123

5 answers to this question

Is it a funded program? I know that U of T has very limited funded spots for international students, meaning that you have to really stand out to be offered a funded position. And if they want to guarantee funding to all of their students, they are less likely to accept international students due to the higher tuition cost.

Okay, I went to the website and found this link about international students. It sounds like they don't offer funding (although there are two kinds of masters):

http://www.dlsph.utoronto.ca/international-applicants/

Do you have these required courses?

Also required are courses in linear algebra, advanced calculus, probability and mathematical statistics.

That's from their website.

So in general, I would say international applicants have a low to moderate chance of acceptance, but it's always based on the applicant pool. You do have to show that you can pay for it, as it seems that there is no funding for international students and you may not be able to work. You also won't be eligible for most government funding, so keep that in mind.

I'm Canadian and I applied to US schools, and it's extremely difficult to beat the odds either way (applying across countries).

Thanks for providing your input. I'll have all of the required courses except advanced calc. However, I emailed the division head my courses and she said I would meet the requirements & taking advanced calc would just strengthen my application.

Edited by polarbear123

Just now, polarbear123 said:

Thanks for providing your input. I'll have all of the required courses except advanced calc. However, I emailed the division head my courses and she said I would meet the requirements & taking advanced calc would just strengthen my application.

That's great! The one thing I would have done differently when applying, which of course you don't have to follow if you don't want to, was that I would have spent my time applying to places I knew could fund me. So as an international student to the US, I wouldn't have bothered with publicly funded schools, especially those with funding issues (i.e. University of California schools). But that's just a hindsight regret.

Good luck with your application!

Hey, first of all, you need to realize that the biostatistics program at UofT, although is adequately competitive, it considers individuals from different backgrounds (i.e. biochemistry, kinesiology, computer science, statistics). Anyone can apply taking any courses, but obviously, individuals with the recommended course list mentioned above will have their application strengthened. The graduate office takes this into account, so you can pretty much take anything in your last year.

On 3/26/2016 at 9:58 PM, polarbear123 said:

I noticed they look at last 5 senior level courses though, which depending on fall course grades I believe could range from a 3.5-3.8 GPA. I also will have completed a thesis as an undergrad through a honors in the major program and will have a year of experience as a clinical data analyst by the time I apply.

I think this is general basis of their decision. The year before my last year, my sessional GPA was 3.0 (pretty damn low) and I did pretty badly on my thesis taking primarily biology/biochemistry courses. In my first term, I took all 2nd/3rd year mathematics and statistics courses (calc, lin. alg., mathematical stats, introductory probability) and a bird course and ended up with a term average of 3.94. I eventually got the offer mid-March.

So from this experience, I think your term 1 marks for your final year will be very crucial no matter how low you got in your previous years (it plays a role obviously, but not to the extent you might have thought) and if it's math/stats courses that's an added bonus.

Your references also play a big role. Make sure the references can describe how you will succeed in the program and how this Masters degree can benefit you after you've graduated. (Degree should be a stepping stone towards your end goal). 

In my opinion, your statement is the most important component. It should reflect how driven you are. Have it edited a lot and make sure you show your conviction. Imo, a good statement of interest will highly increase your chances even with bad marks.

On 3/26/2016 at 9:58 PM, polarbear123 said:

I have noticed two people have already been rejected from this program, and that international acceptance is very limited. So do you think my chance of acceptance is low(probably?), moderate(possibly?), or high(lol)? and should I turn my focus to Biostatistics programs elsewhere?

International acceptance is hard everywhere and Toronto is definitely the hardest school to get an acceptance from just in general (for biostatistics, maybe Western's program too, but that's only because 10 people are enrolled a year) just because of how acclaimed the place is. The other reason Toronto is hard is because of their very applied heavy program; designed for students to develop practical skillsets through very applied heavy courses and a practicum. Students who graduate often work as biostatisticians right away from what I've heard. To answer your question, yes your chances will be low, but to be honest, if you are a good candidate in terms of marks/statement of interest, every school you apply to will be easy, so apply anyways.

But keep in mind that with a MSc. in Statistics (which is easier to get an acceptance from), you can basically do the same thing career wise. MSc. in stats will be the theoretically heavy route, which is useful in many other ways. Many people who graduate with MSc./PhD in Stats at York/Mac still do biostatistics-related work so this isn't a bad option either. It also gives you the freedom to do actuarial/financial statistics if you decide to shy away from biostatistics. This was what I was debating with vs. Toronto, but I chose Toronto for the nice food/active social community.

This might also be a pretty helpful document: http://www.dlsph.utoronto.ca/files/media/docs/About/SelfStudy/UofT-DLSPH%20Self%20Study2010.pdf

Some key points on page 41,

" In addition to the minimum standard admission requirements of a 4 year undergraduate degree with a minimum B standing in the 4th year and demonstrated proficiency in English language, prerequisite courses in linear algebra, advanced calculus, probability and mathematical statistics are required."

"Over the past 5 years the annual number of applications to the MSc program has varied, though
typically around 45. The acceptance rate is also quite variable, and somewhat lower than for other
programs at the school. Possible reasons include the lack of funding support, which is often provided in
competing programs. "

On page 42, you'll find more statistics.