Fully Funded Masters in Rhetoric and Composition

I am planning on applying to grad school this summer/fall. I am looking to start in fall of 2017. Does anyone know some good masters programs for English rhetoric and composition that also offer teaching assistantships as a way to be fully funded? Thanks!

When I applied to MA programs, I was accepted to Kansas State and Southern Illinois University on assistantships/fellowships which would have been fully funded. Keep an eye on IL politics though; the state's having some issues funding universities. 

Here's the thread I remembered. The information is a couple years old, and they may not be Rhet/Comp programs.

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/21451-funded-english-ma-programs/

Most MA programs in Rhet/Comp offer some level of assistantships and funding. It's the nature of the beast. The question will become what sort of work you want to do, where you want to live, and what your goal (CC teaching, PhD prep, other jobs) for your MA is.

From personal experience I can tell you which schools offered full funding for MA:

I second Michigan State, this is where I'm heading in the fall for their WRAC program and they have a union for graduate workers- which is awesome- because it means you don't have to pay student fees (which can be incredibly shocking to hear the student fee amounts, so when you're offered a package also see how much the fees are it can really make a difference- like a $4,000 difference between different schools) they offered full funding through TA, insurance, and 1/2 dental. Also they cover 5 hours of summer classes in the tuition waver as well, if that's something you're interested in.

Washington State: it's within the English MA, but they have faculty that do rhetoric as well. Tuition waver/Stipend/and insurance. They also offered first time student scholarships that you don't have to apply to separately.

University of Oklahoma: if you're doing Native American Studies in conjunction with rhetoric

Illinois State University: very nice faculty, super helpful, and in addition to rhetoric they have a wonderful children's literature track

Avoid for MA: University of Colorado, great English program but no funding. They only fund PhD, and they take very few PhD students each year.

If you're concerned about funding, I would suggest looking into communications programs. The faculty at some universities are often shared by rhetoric and comm programs, and communications departments often have more funds. If you're interested in Penn State for example, Debra Hawhee is the director of both departments, but the comm program is slightly less competitive than the rhetoric (or so I have been told) and provides some very generous funding if you're accepted.

2 hours ago, renea said:

From personal experience I can tell you which schools offered full funding for MA:

I second Michigan State, this is where I'm heading in the fall for their WRAC program and they have a union for graduate workers- which is awesome- because it means you don't have to pay student fees (which can be incredibly shocking to hear the student fee amounts, so when you're offered a package also see how much the fees are it can really make a difference- like a $4,000 difference between different schools) they offered full funding through TA, insurance, and 1/2 dental. Also they cover 5 hours of summer classes in the tuition waver as well, if that's something you're interested in.

Washington State: it's within the English MA, but they have faculty that do rhetoric as well. Tuition waver/Stipend/and insurance. They also offered first time student scholarships that you don't have to apply to separately.

University of Oklahoma: if you're doing Native American Studies in conjunction with rhetoric

Illinois State University: very nice faculty, super helpful, and in addition to rhetoric they have a wonderful children's literature track

Avoid for MA: University of Colorado, great English program but no funding. They only fund PhD, and they take very few PhD students each year.

If you're concerned about funding, I would suggest looking into communications programs. The faculty at some universities are often shared by rhetoric and comm programs, and communications departments often have more funds. If you're interested in Penn State for example, Debra Hawhee is the director of both departments, but the comm program is slightly less competitive than the rhetoric (or so I have been told) and provides some very generous funding if you're accepted.

I'll second asking questions about fees, and insurance, and how many course credits, ect. come with "full funding". I took some loans out for my MA, because I didn't want to struggle, but didn't want a roommate, but they were for lifestyle (like avoiding living near undergrads in EL). Full funding offers at some schools would have still left me short 4-5k a semester. Also check if they are renewable or guaranteed by year or semester. WRAC at MSU only offers one year renewable for MAs, but it's almost always renewed (hooray for my bank account!), while other programs it's more competitive for the second year. Talking to current grad students about livability is helpful

10 hours ago, bhr said:

Talking to current grad students about livability is helpful

Absolutely agree with this, graduate students offer a wealth of wisdom about livability and since they're currently struggling with rent/bills/cost of living in the area they'll be able to give you an honest answer about how affordable it is to live in the area. I'll also add that you shouldn't be afraid to ask about funding for other costs such as moving costs or future summer funding. If you plan to stay during the summer, you'll want to know what options you'll have because funding offers usually pay for the 9 months you'll be taking class, but some departments do have assistanships for the summer, or even better- summer funding options for your research. It can be intimidating to talk so frankly about the costs of school that don't seem to fall into the TA category or tuition waiver, but they are real expenses and most departments have a recruitment director who will be happy to talk to you about them.

I know Purdue and Miami University of Ohio offer funded masters and have rhet/comp programs that specialize in writing center administration. Does anyone know any other programs that offer this specialty?

21 hours ago, sarah9 said:

I know Purdue and Miami University of Ohio offer funded masters and have rhet/comp programs that specialize in writing center administration. Does anyone know any other programs that offer this specialty?

This is a good question! I picked Miami particularly for this reason and particularly because they have faculty working in one of their writing centers and publishing with students on writing center research.

From what I gathered upon other campus visits/email correspondance, this isn't the norm and is is indeed a type of speciality. I too would like to know of other programs that have similar specializations.

If you want to do Writing Center work (or really, any specific work) it's always best to go see who is doing it in the field, who is publishing/teaching/chairing/editing, and see where they went to school. For example, I know at least two of the board members of ECWCA went to MSU, while a couple others went to MTSU.

• 4 weeks later...

John Carroll University in Cleveland, OH has a fully funded English MA program where you can specialize in rhet/comp. They seem to offer a lot of teaching experience, too, if that's something you're looking for. The standard of living in CLE isn't too bad either, so it's pretty livable. 

• 2 months later...