Carnegie Mellon Fall 2016

FoxAndChicken

On 4/1/2016 at 1:33 PM, pink_freud said:

Yay glad someone finally started a Pittsburgh thread! I will be starting at the University of Pittsburgh this fall! 

Yay! For some reason this didn't give me a notification when you replied. Ah well. Have you been to visit yet? Such a pretty city! I should have included University of Pittsburgh in the title, since we're so close. Oops! Sorry. 

I grew up in the suburbs, but am excited to get to live close to Oakland! It's a wonderful city and has only been getting better as I have returned on breaks during undergrad :) Also has amaaaazing restaurants .

On 4/4/2016 at 3:13 PM, pink_freud said:

I grew up in the suburbs, but am excited to get to live close to Oakland! It's a wonderful city and has only been getting better as I have returned on breaks during undergrad :) Also has amaaaazing restaurants .

On my visit they took me to the Porch? It was pretty good. :D I'm going to be living on North Craig? Pretty excited. 

On March 30, 2016 at 9:51 AM, FoxAndChicken said:

Hello! I will be moving to Pittsburgh and starting at CMU this fall. SO EXCITED. 

11266939_792178760897084_869652252_n.gif 

which program are you going to? Also, why did you apply to Carnegie Mellon? I briefly dated a guy who went there but he lived in NYC at the time we were dating. I was considering a program at CMU, but I got too scared to apply because of winter. Did you like Pittsburgh when you visited? My friend says that Pittsburgh is pretty rad!

Just now, rack_attack124 said:

which program are you going to? Also, why did you apply to Carnegie Mellon? I briefly dated a guy who went there but he lived in NYC at the time we were dating. I was considering a program at CMU, but I got too scared to apply because of winter. Did you like Pittsburgh when you visited? My friend says that Pittsburgh is pretty rad!

I'm going into their logic program! :D I applied because they're one of the best for that, and the department is a super good fit. I'm from Michigan, so the winter doesn't scare me. I loved Pittsburgh! It has a lot of charm, and seems like a fun place to be. 

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

I'm going into their logic program! :D I applied because they're one of the best for that, and the department is a super good fit. I'm from Michigan, so the winter doesn't scare me. I loved Pittsburgh! It has a lot of charm, and seems like a fun place to be. 

that explains a lot. I have lived in Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona. I like hot, sunny places so I thought it would just be a waste for me to apply to CMU. Since you're form Michigan, I can see why winter doesn't bother you. I also was considering some programs at Ross but I knew that anywhere in the midwest was off the table for me lol. Congrats on CMU! Hope you enjoy it!

Just now, rack_attack124 said:

that explains a lot. I have lived in Florida, North Carolina, and Arizona. I like hot, sunny places so I thought it would just be a waste for me to apply to CMU. Since you're form Michigan, I can see why winter doesn't bother you. I also was considering some programs at Ross but I knew that anywhere in the midwest was off the table for me lol. Congrats on CMU! Hope you enjoy it!

Ross is pretty good. One of my best friends is a Ph.D. student there. She's pretty awesome, but also told me "If you cry every day in grad school, don't worry because that's normal." And now I'm a bit scared, but I think that also just might be her. I'll probably still cry sometimes, but not like every day. xD I like warm places, but it's not a huge priority for me. I almost like bad weather because it makes me stay inside and be productive. I super love rain, though. 

Just now, FoxAndChicken said:

Ross is pretty good. One of my best friends is a Ph.D. student there. She's pretty awesome, but also told me "If you cry every day in grad school, don't worry because that's normal." And now I'm a bit scared, but I think that also just might be her. I'll probably still cry sometimes, but not like every day. xD I like warm places, but it's not a huge priority for me. I almost like bad weather because it makes me stay inside and be productive. I super love rain, though. 

yeah, you are really opposite of me. I am dramatic with weather. I actually lived in Boston for a master's program. I withdrew, not because of weather, but it definitely didn't help my circumstances. I cry when I see snow.  I also cried because I was failing. I think people fail when they are not passionate about what they are studying. I think if you are passionate about logic then you will do well. My adviser and program director at BU were always very supportive and I think faculty is experienced in dealing with students who struggle about more things than just academics. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all! I'm an incoming Chemical Engineering PhD student from the Philadelphia suburbs. I am super pumped to live in Pittsburgh and attend CMU.

• 1 month later...
On 5/4/2016 at 1:39 AM, z-nut said:

Hey all! I'm an incoming Chemical Engineering PhD student from the Philadelphia suburbs. I am super pumped to live in Pittsburgh and attend CMU.

Hi z-nut! Welcome to Pittsburgh! The engineering programs at CMU are fantastic - congratulations! My father received his PhD in chemical engineering from CMU and just absolutely loved it. Says things have only gotten better. 

• 7 months later...