Does anyone know how WICHE works?  I briefly heard about it here on the forums, and I know you have to indicate that you want the WICHE in-state tuition when you apply, but it is not automatically guaranteed you will get it.  How hard is it to get the in-state tuition rate?  I want to apply out of state because schools are competitive here in California, but the tuition is keeping me away.  However if I can get in-state tuition that would make a huge difference.. so now I'm thinking about applying to University of Northern Colorado.  But what is the likelihood of getting in-state tuition?

Here's the link someone else referenced.  Seems only a handful of schools are participants.  Anyone know about these programs?

Speech-Language Pathology, MA, University of Colorado Boulder
Speech-Language Pathology, MA, University of Northern Colorado
Speech-Language Pathology, MS, Idaho State University
Speech-Language Pathology, MA/MS, Utah State University

Speech-Language Pathology, MS, University of Washington 

http://wiche.edu/info/publications/wrgpHandout.pdf

Edited by ApplyingSLP
formatting

I know that Eastern WA is also on the list! I e-mailed schools last year- Eastern WA only awarded 2 WRPG students with in-state tuition, not all. Meanwhile, Idaho State awarded all WRPG students in-state tuition. If you are interested in one of the programs, I would e-mail them for their upcoming app cycle and see how many WRPG waivers they will give out. 

Don't forget to check out residency requirements- a lot of public schools in other states allow you to apply to become a resident for your second year of graduate school. That can help a lot with cost, especially when you factor in cost of living. 

I am in the same boat- CA and capping myself on tuition prices. 

22 hours ago, ApplyingSLP said:

Does anyone know how WICHE works?  I briefly heard about it here on the forums, and I know you have to indicate that you want the WICHE in-state tuition when you apply, but it is not automatically guaranteed you will get it.  How hard is it to get the in-state tuition rate?  I want to apply out of state because schools are competitive here in California, but the tuition is keeping me away.  However if I can get in-state tuition that would make a huge difference.. so now I'm thinking about applying to University of Northern Colorado.  But what is the likelihood of getting in-state tuition?

Here's the link someone else referenced.  Seems only a handful of schools are participants.  Anyone know about these programs?

Speech-Language Pathology, MA, University of Colorado Boulder
Speech-Language Pathology, MA, University of Northern Colorado
Speech-Language Pathology, MS, Idaho State University
Speech-Language Pathology, MA/MS, Utah State University

Speech-Language Pathology, MS, University of Washington 

http://wiche.edu/info/publications/wrgpHandout.pdf

I seem to remember someone saying Boulder only gave out one WRPG - but you should definitely call each CD Dept and ask.  It's best not to rely on the forums or ASHA Edfind as info may be outdated.  As far as UW Seattle, they only offer the WRPG to the Core SLP students - not Med SLP.  I believe all of the programs you listed are very competitive, for what it's worth.  It's great that you are researching early - make sure to research funding opportunities as well!  I wish I had done more of that!  ?

On 4/2/2016 at 7:37 PM, Jolie717 said:

I seem to remember someone saying Boulder only gave out one WRPG - but you should definitely call each CD Dept and ask.  It's best not to rely on the forums or ASHA Edfind as info may be outdated.  As far as UW Seattle, they only offer the WRPG to the Core SLP students - not Med SLP.  I believe all of the programs you listed are very competitive, for what it's worth.  It's great that you are researching early - make sure to research funding opportunities as well!  I wish I had done more of that!  ?

Hey Jolie!

Have you decided where you're going for your grad program? Curious to know since you got into the MedSLP plus the instate CSUN program!