MPH - UNC vs Harvard

kma19

(This is a last-ditch effort to get someone else to make this decision for me, because I'm so fatigued by the whole thing that I just want it done already. I know I'll end up having to decide for myself, but this is worth a shot, right?)

I was admitted to several great MPH programs and, after visiting all of them, have narrowed my choices down to UNC (MPH in Health Behavior) and Harvard (MPH-65 in Health Behavior and Society/SBS, depending who you talk to). This is mostly because of general fit/gut feeling, cost/financial aid packages, and faculty. For the record, I'm interested in social/behavioral epidemiology, specifically STIs including HIV. I'm coming to the MPH with four years of project management experience in a large, well-respected international health non-profit. I see the MPH as a great way to strengthen my methodology, build a base of research experience, and "test the waters" to see if full-time, academic research work is for me (in case I'd consider a PhD). It's important to me that a program prepare me well for those things. 

I have now visited both UNC and Harvard, and feel great about both options. Both offer a wealth of research opportunities, both globally and domestically (though UNC probably offers more on the global front), both have strong social epidemiologists on faculty, students at both schools rave about student life/faculty relationships, etc. etc. etc. On all fronts, they seem equal to me -- maybe this is why they have a shared ranking!!

Money is, of course, a consideration and UNC is substantially cheaper (both in terms of tuition and cost of living) -- but I am trying not to limit myself to that at this point. What else should I be considering? What questions should I be asking? I don't want this to come to flipping a coin, but it's at that point. 

• 1 month later...
On April 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM, kma19 said:

(This is a last-ditch effort to get someone else to make this decision for me, because I'm so fatigued by the whole thing that I just want it done already. I know I'll end up having to decide for myself, but this is worth a shot, right?)

I was admitted to several great MPH programs and, after visiting all of them, have narrowed my choices down to UNC (MPH in Health Behavior) and Harvard (MPH-65 in Health Behavior and Society/SBS, depending who you talk to). This is mostly because of general fit/gut feeling, cost/financial aid packages, and faculty. For the record, I'm interested in social/behavioral epidemiology, specifically STIs including HIV. I'm coming to the MPH with four years of project management experience in a large, well-respected international health non-profit. I see the MPH as a great way to strengthen my methodology, build a base of research experience, and "test the waters" to see if full-time, academic research work is for me (in case I'd consider a PhD). It's important to me that a program prepare me well for those things. 

I have now visited both UNC and Harvard, and feel great about both options. Both offer a wealth of research opportunities, both globally and domestically (though UNC probably offers more on the global front), both have strong social epidemiologists on faculty, students at both schools rave about student life/faculty relationships, etc. etc. etc. On all fronts, they seem equal to me -- maybe this is why they have a shared ranking!!

Money is, of course, a consideration and UNC is substantially cheaper (both in terms of tuition and cost of living) -- but I am trying not to limit myself to that at this point. What else should I be considering? What questions should I be asking? I don't want this to come to flipping a coin, but it's at that point. 

Where did you decide to go! I was admitted to UNC health informatics master's program. I've lived in Boston before too and I really don't like it!!! I would consider cost of attendance, location, and job prospects afterwards and then choose the one that interests you more. I will never live in Boston again for anything. I'm trying to migrate all the way back down to south Florida where I was born lol. I am interested in STIs as well. The American Sexual Health Association headquarters is in Durham, NC. 

3 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

Where did you decide to go! I was admitted to UNC health informatics master's program. I've lived in Boston before too and I really don't like it!!! I would consider cost of attendance, location, and job prospects afterwards and then choose the one that interests you more. I will never live in Boston again for anything. I'm trying to migrate all the way back down to south Florida where I was born lol. I am interested in STIs as well. The American Sexual Health Association headquarters is in Durham, NC. 

I'm a bit skeptical of your experience in Boston if you really hate it that much. 

3 hours ago, rack_attack124 said:

yeah well it's not for everyone...

Well, you seem incredibly biased, and you give negative reputation when someone disagrees with you, so I am sure you are a class act. 

1 hour ago, blc073 said:

Well, you seem incredibly biased, and you give negative reputation when someone disagrees with you, so I am sure you are a class act. 

I have lived in Boston so I am definitely entitled to have an opinion of it. Not everyone likes Boston. You don't need to go on a diatribe. 

11 minutes ago, rack_attack124 said:

I have lived in Boston so I am definitely entitled to have an opinion of it. Not everyone likes Boston. You don't need to go on a diatribe. 

Wow, you are actually insane. My god. 

Money is, of course, a consideration and UNC is substantially cheaper (both in terms of tuition and cost of living) -- but I am trying not to limit myself to that at this point.

Perhaps by now you have made a decision, but I am truly baffled by this rationale. If the two schools are about equal in reputation and fit in your own estimation, why on earth would you pay a lot more for one? You've already considered most of the academic and professional reasons to decide between the two and are still coming up short, so by all means, let the costs make the decision for you. There's no reason to pay more for an equivalent experience that will get you the same things as the more expensive experience.