Average age and years experience in MPA programs

readyornot

Could someone give me an idea of what the average age and # of years experience in MPA programs is? I have over a year experience and am 23 (but am looking to hold off on grad school until 2011)

There really is far too wide of a variety of programs to give you one number, but I remember repeatedly coming across programs that recommend "at least 2-3 years". Maybe use that as a benchmark.

In my opinion, the motivation for this preference for work experience is twofold:

1) since grad school is all about specialization, experience beyond undergraduate training should make candidates more aware of the direction they wish to take both academically and professionally; and

2) work experience makes candidates more employable after graduation, thereby increasing the average starting salary for graduates (which reflects well on the program itself, whether or not it's due to the training that it offers).

In general, though, I definitely agree with the above posters: the more the better.

Edited by greendiplomat

a related question. i am 26, and have a few years of work experience, but not really related to any sort of public affairs. my work has been mostly oriented to education. how important is it that the work experience be related to public work? will my experience be less than helpful for my admission chances?

a related question. i am 26, and have a few years of work experience, but not really related to any sort of public affairs. my work has been mostly oriented to education. how important is it that the work experience be related to public work? will my experience be less than helpful for my admission chances?

Plenty of people get in with backgrounds in teaching (Teach for America, high schools etc.) or research (e.g. think tanks, institutes). For example, I think someone on this board last year taught in a public high school in LA for ~7 years and then got into HKS.

While more work experience is typically better and makes for a stronger application, it should by no means be a deterrent from applying to programs now if you choose to do so. Experience can take many forms: from studying abroad to really focused internships. If you show yourself as having carved out a trajectory toward public service during your time in undergrad, then it will work in your favor when applying.

I've done my share of looking around and have also seen the 2-3 year experience referenced. When I met with Grad students at NYU and Baruch, the years of experience was in many cases between 4 and 8 years. I will be applying with 8 years of relavant work experience and several current and former colleagues have gotten theirs after 10 years in public service.

Since the goal of MPA is to get management job (hence the term Administration) in the public service or non profit sectors, it would make sense to get atleast a few years in to get the requisite work experience. I mean who hires 25 year old managers with no work experience?

I've done my share of looking around and have also seen the 2-3 year experience referenced. When I met with Grad students at NYU and Baruch, the years of experience was in many cases between 4 and 8 years. I will be applying with 8 years of relavant work experience and several current and former colleagues have gotten theirs after 10 years in public service.

Since the goal of MPA is to get management job (hence the term Administration) in the public service or non profit sectors, it would make sense to get atleast a few years in to get the requisite work experience. I mean who hires 25 year old managers with no work experience?

that is true, if anyone was hoping for a management position directly out of grad school then i would assume that person would have previous relevant work experience. that is probably why many programs that offer an mpa have a two year regular program and also an 'executive' one-year program for mid-career professionals. since i am not mid-career and have no previous administrative experience or public sector experience, i am hoping an mpa will give me a boost into the policy analysis arena where i can eventually move up. after all, its not unheard of for someone with an mpa to do policy analysis. i'd rather not go the mpp route since its so quant heavy.