Economics Prereq

Hey guys!

I am starting at GW's master's program in the fall, and I need to take microeconomics before I start. I want to take it completely online, and it would be even better if it is self-paced, though that is definitely not a requirement. I have found a self-paced, fully online course through UT (Texas)'s University Extension program for $550. Anyone know of a cheaper option? Of course, I am trying to find the cheeeeeeapest option I can. I am a Texas resident if that helps (though I think the UT one is $550 for everyone- both in state and out of state). Thanks for the advice!

Thanks guys! I found a community college one (Dallas Community College online) for $111 for in-state, so that may be a good option for any other Texans. In the meantime, will likely do a MOOC for macro to brush up- I'll check out the MIT one! Appreciate it.

• 3 months later...

Hi Kaseyleigh, 

I hope I'm not too late to this- Was just wondering whether it was necessary to be enrolled as a college student when taking an online course? Thinking about taking two online pre-requisite credits after my college graduation-  in my work experience year before enrolling for my M.A- Was wondering if I could do it independently, or if I would have to be enrolled at an institution. 

Please do let me know if possible- would greatly appreciate it. 

Congratulations on GW!

All the very best

• 3 weeks later...
On July 16, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Adi MR said:

Hi Kaseyleigh, 

I hope I'm not too late to this- Was just wondering whether it was necessary to be enrolled as a college student when taking an online course? Thinking about taking two online pre-requisite credits after my college graduation-  in my work experience year before enrolling for my M.A- Was wondering if I could do it independently, or if I would have to be enrolled at an institution. 

Please do let me know if possible- would greatly appreciate it. 

Congratulations on GW!

All the very best

Hey there! So sorry- I just now logged in and saw this message! In case you haven't yet enrolled in one, here is my experience: I'm not enrolled as a college student! I ultimately opted to do an online course through the University of Texas because that is where I did my undergrad, but I'm not enrolled there anymore as a student. UT has online extension classes that I believe anyone can enroll in regardless of being a student or not. When I was looking at the community college classes, it did seem like you had to apply and enroll, so I thought it was more complicated and just decided to do the extension, continuing education type class instead. 

(Side note- it turned out to be the worst class ever so def don't recommend taking it through UT)

Thanks for the sentiments and good luck with finding a course!