Masters in Philosophy at SFSU vs Masters in Bioethics at NYU

Hi guys,

So I'm currently finishing up my BA at UCLA with a major in Philosophy and a minor in Cognitive Science. My career goals are to earn a PhD in Philosophy, research, and teach.

I was accepted into the MA in Philosophy at SFSU, which is one of the top philosophy MA programs. (Two year program)
Pros: Great department, I believe my tuition is covered and I have to just worry about housing, San Francisco, a straight path and preparation toward Philosophy PhD. They will allow me to TA, take classes in their Psychology department, as well as at Berkeley. And I get to pursue my interests in Philosophy of Mind and Cog Sci.
Cons: Housing market, school not "prestigious" outside of philosophy.

I was super stoked about this and accepted my offer immediately! (I got denied from every PhD program I applied to.)
THEN, NYU said they forwarded my application over to the School of Global Public Health... and I was accepted with to their MA in Bioethics with a 10k scholarship.
Pros: NEW YORK UNIVERSITY! One year program. NYC. Prestige. Edgy. Practical. I can get this MA, and then hopefully go off into a PhD in Philosophy and earn an MA in Philosophy there, so then I will have an MA in Bioethics AND Philosophy... Will probably look great for PhD apps. Seems like a really great program.
Cons: Not sure if it will help me get into Grad School. Less time, but will be more expensive. Never had a huge interest in Bioethics but could make it work... (But maybe its a sign from the universe)... 

I have no idea what to do! Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by what_is_the_mind

Hey, haven't been to NYC but I have been to the SFSU campus and the surrounding area a few times.  San Francisco is a really great city, and if you are really motivated to spend 9 bucks and 45 minutes to take BART to UC Berkeley (better than driving), then I think you don't have much to worry about in terms of prestige. 

I was accepted into prestigious PhD programs from a state school.  I think it will not necessarily hold you back to be at SF State, studying what you intend to study.  It seems bioethics would be a distraction since it is not what you want to do.

Those 3 semesters are going to be critical for your letter writers - that is really not a lot of time to make a good impression, especially if you are looking for 2 or 3 letters.

TA work and developing a good track record in relevant coursework will be way more important than prestige.  Additionally, you may have more opportunities to prove yourself at SFSU by applying for fellowships and other prestigious positions during your second year.  Keep in mind, your 2nd year coursework is going to show up in your transcripts and that should be important to schools where you are applying.  At a good 2 year program, you will spend your time developing a good personal statement that is grounded in all the work you are doing there...  after an intensive year of Bioethics, what are you going to have to write about?