Ayblaq

Question

Got this mail from the university "Our CS admissions committee has considered your application to our MCS
program for September 2016 (and January 2017) and has made a
recommendation to the School of Graduate Studies.

The School of Graduate Studies will review the recommendation of the CS
admissions committee and issue official notification of the final
decision shortly."

Does this mean that I've been recommended for admission or I will be accepted. Just a little bit anxious and curious, because I've waited 6 months for a reply.

Edited by Ayblaq
Typo

8 answers to this question

It doesn't say what the decision is. If it's a rejection, that is an incredibly cruel email to send, so I want to hope it's an acceptance. It usually is the case that after the department makes its decision to admit a student, that decision needs to be approved by the school. I would assume that this is what they mean in this email, although it's unfortunately vague, so you will have to wait, or email back to ask for clarification (although the vagueness would lead me to expect that you will not get a straight answer). Do come back to tell us how it worked out. Good luck! 

Definitely sounds like the department has recommended you for admission. But now the grad school itself has to decide if they want to follow the CS department's recommendation and admit you to the university. 

I hope you hear something positive soon! 

21 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

It doesn't say what the decision is. If it's a rejection, that is an incredibly cruel email to send, so I want to hope it's an acceptance. It usually is the case that after the department makes its decision to admit a student, that decision needs to be approved by the school. I would assume that this is what they mean in this email, although it's unfortunately vague, so you will have to wait, or email back to ask for clarification (although the vagueness would lead me to expect that you will not get a straight answer). Do come back to tell us how it worked out. Good luck! 

Actually sent them the following mail 

"I'm feeling a little bit anxious, got a mail that my application as been recommended to the school of graduate studies, does recommendation mean that I have been considered for admission by the CS admission committee." And the reply was 

"Yes and we will be in touch very soon".

but it seems I didn't construct the mail well enough 

No, this one seems pretty clear. You've been recommended for admissions by the department. Now the graduate school needs to approve it. Unless something very unexpected happens, you will probably hear that you've been admitted very soon. 

On 13 April 2016 at 0:46 AM, fuzzylogician said:

No, this one seems pretty clear. You've been recommended for admissions by the department. Now the graduate school needs to approve it. Unless something very unexpected happens, you will probably hear that you've been admitted very soon. 

Just got this mail and I really don't know what to expect 

"

Professor Ken Kent and myself have reviewed your application for Graduate Studies at the University of New Brunswick. We like to know if you would be interested in pursuing the degree under our supervision. We lead a research group investigating aspects of optimizing IBM’s Java Virtual Machine for multi-core processors. The position would be fully funded. We can provide more details on the specifics of the projects that are available. 

If you are interested, we need to complete the following two steps:

1) One of us would have a technical interview via skype with you.
2) IBM has to approve your eligibility to participate in the program

Please let us know if you are interested, so that we can arrange an interview. During the interview we can also prove more details about the project.

"

Sounds like they are interested in your application but want to do an interview. If they make you an offer (and it sounds like that has a fairly high likelihood of happening), then there needs to be a step of getting approval by IBM. I don't know if that is a formality or not, but it's something you could ask about in your interview. Seems to me like the next step is to say yes to the interview and find a date and time. You could confirm that both professors will participate in the interview and ask if there is anything useful that you should read up on to prepare ahead of the interview (but I would assume it's the details of the project they described, and if that is something you can easily find online, just use that. Only ask this question is the answer is non-obvious). What are you confused about? 

Sounds like they are interested in your application but want to do an interview. If they make you an offer (and it sounds like that has a fairly high likelihood of happening), then there needs to be a step of getting approval by IBM. I don't know if that is a formality or not, but it's something you could ask about in your interview. Seems to me like the next step is to say yes to the interview and find a date and time. You could confirm that both professors will participate in the interview and ask if there is anything useful that you should read up on to prepare ahead of the interview (but I would assume it's the details of the project they described, and if that is something you can easily find online, just use that. Only ask this question is the answer is non-obvious). What are you confused about?