Help!

FY5913

So I applied to  6 Ph.D. Neuroprograms. I knew that I probably wouldn't get in, as I had mediocre stats (GPA of 3.5, GRE of 315) and no publications. However, I just was told that I could be admitted to a program if I was to commit to them. I don't yet know whether it would be funded (if it's not, then I won't accept), but I'm not sure whether I want to go there anyways. 

Pro's: Good resources, well funded, large program based on medical campus
Con's: I don't like the area, family is on the other side of the country, no available rankings/stats/outcomes

It's a gamble, and I'm hesitant as I'm considered a "strong" candidate, even though I know that I'm not. I've been working on my Plan B and have an MS with a thesis in my current lab lined up, which I know would be a great experience. I just don't know if it's worth the gamble, or whether I should try again in a couple of years when I am better qualified for the schools that I wanted to attend. I don't want to jump and regret it later--you only get one shot at a Ph.D.

Thoughts?

That's what I'm leaning towards. I feel like I would be more likely to regret going than not going because there is a lot of risk. Thanks!

8 hours ago, rising_star said:

I wouldn't take the risk, especially if funding isn't guaranteed. Try to boost your credentials you can get into the PhD programs you really want to.