is it true masters econ program is for PhD drop outs?

clarkKent333

• 2 weeks later...

That's not at all true. What you may be referring to is that oftentimes student in Ph.D programs who do not pass comps after their first year receive a masters degree as a kind of "consolation prize". That absolutely happens. Students who apply first for a masters instead of a Ph.D usually do so because there is something in their application (GRE scores, Math background, Econ background) that is lacking and they want to improve it.  

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of schools give you a pity master's degree if you drop out of their PhD program. I don't think you would find a lot of folks who drop out of an Econ PhD program and then subsequently apply to a terminal econ master's. Why would they if they already got a pity master's for dropping out?

• 2 weeks later...
On April 28, 2016 at 9:27 PM, ExponentialDecay said:

Wtf no. What gave you that idea.

Hi, Im an undergrad econ major, and I saw your post in another thread.

You wrote "In the US, the MS is heavily a way to strengthen your PhD application" in that thread, so I'm just wondering if it is better to apply for a Master in econ prior to my PhD application than to apply for PhD directly? (Given that I didn't do well in some of my math courses)

Thank you in advance!

4 hours ago, Planetarium said:

Hi, Im an undergrad econ major, and I saw your post in another thread.

You wrote "In the US, the MS is heavily a way to strengthen your PhD application" in that thread, so I'm just wondering if it is better to apply for a Master in econ prior to my PhD application than to apply for PhD directly? (Given that I didn't do well in some of my math courses)

Thank you in advance!

Ask your letter writers or anyone else who has a good idea of your individual competitiveness at this juncture. It depends on what you mean by "not well" and what the math courses were, as well as a bunch of other stuff in your profile, some of which you can communicate to me, and some of which you can't. When in doubt, ask someone who knows your work.