Declining an Offer?

RM1

I haven't seen a post about this this application cycle, so I thought I'd check to see if anyone else is dealing with something similar. I am declining an offer to my top choice because of lack of funding, and I would like to let the department chair know since he has been very encouraging and helpful so far when I contacted him about it (also, I might apply again and want him to remember me in a positive light). Yet, I'm unsure how to phrase it in a diplomatic way. I want him to know why I'm turning down the offer, but would it appear passive aggressive to tell him its because I wasn't offered enough funding? Any advice is appreciated.

I similarly had to decline an offer from someone who had been very helpful. I used something along the lines of "I was provided a more financially viable option elsewhere" in my decline email. I ran it by my current professor and he said it sounded fine. 

@RM1 I similarly had to decline an offer from my top choice do to lack of funding with an eye to reapplying. I thanked them for their help, communication, and transparency, and reiterated how excited I was about the program, but that it didn't make financial sense for me to accept the offer this cycle. I then said that I am excited to reapply, and hope to spend my time off improving my profile to make me a stronger candidate.