I got into Uni of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio (Masters in Immunology and infection) and Drexel (Masters in Infectious diseases) and now I'm quite confused about which one to accept. both of them seem like a good fit for me, but I am leaning toward Drexel because the research internship seems like a great opportunity. But it's so expensive!

Does can anyone give me any insights on the programs and the general atmosphere in both the colleges? I've done some reading but it's really not helping me decide.

And wow I wish I'd discovered this site sooner! I felt so alone during the application process...

Hi YesCoffee!

I don't know anything about Drexel, but I actually work at UTHSCSA as a research assistant in the pharmacology department. If you need to know anything about the program or about San Antonio, I can definitely help (have lived here 9 years!!) or I can get you in touch with some grad students :lol: UTHSCSA is a nice campus and everyone here is either a medical, dental, or grad student (no undergrads) so it is a very different atmosphere from other universities. There is a ton of great faculty members here as well, and they treat you like a family down here in Texas. Have you received funding from UTHSCSA? Most of the grad students I work with have been granted very generous stipends and free healthcare. Something to consider as well... Feel free to PM me with any questions!

Edited by Fossey
typos

Hi! Thanks, that seems pretty reassuring. They haven't told me anything about funding though, so I guess I'll figure things out as I go. 

How's it to live in San Antonio? Is it cheap, and are there many places where I can get a job? (Like part time jobs?)

PS. Sorry for the empty quotes, I don't know how to delete them on my phone :)

16 hours ago, Fossey said:
16 hours ago, Fossey said:

Edited by YesCoffee

San Antonio is pretty cheap for a US city (compared to New York, Los Angeles, etc.). I don't know what your budget is, but a really nice apartment here is usually around $1,000 per month, and you can easily get some good deals way below that! 

The city is fun and there is a lot of diversity. You have the Riverwalk, Alamo, and other nice attractions to see. People are very friendly down here. Also, I feel that San Antonio is a very different kind of Texas than the rest of the state. 

There are lots of places to get jobs (it's a huge city!), but usually grad students at UTHSCSA rotate and work in labs on campus. So, I am sure you would have that opportunity, no? Also, keep in mind that you would most likely come in on an F-1 visa (unless you have a green card), meaning that you can ONLY work on campus and not anywhere else... I think exceptions can be made, but it is way more complicated.