Is Experience Required?

jaaaayciee

I'm still in my undergrad and planned on going to get my Master's immediately after I graduate, but I see that for a Masters in Education, experience is needed (At least, at UNC it is). For a Masters in Arts in Teaching, however, I don't think experience is required. 

I planned on immediately getting my Master's, but now I'm having doubts. Should I stay in my home town for a few years and get experience teaching, or can I still jump to Master's?

Depends on the program. I definitely had classmates who were fresh out of undergrad. However, I think experience helped me focus my goals for my master's degree.

3 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

I'm still in my undergrad and planned on going to get my Master's immediately after I graduate, but I see that for a Masters in Education, experience is needed (At least, at UNC it is). For a Masters in Arts in Teaching, however, I don't think experience is required. 

I planned on immediately getting my Master's, but now I'm having doubts. Should I stay in my home town for a few years and get experience teaching, or can I still jump to Master's?

If it's an MAT, or a masters related to teaching and certification, it would be very normal for you to not have any experience.  If it's a masters for things like policy or something more specialized, experience may be more valued.

I'm in a masters program right now for Literacy and started with no teaching experience, right out of college, as did 90% of my classmates. 

On May 3, 2016 at 1:52 PM, Heather1011 said:

If it's an MAT, or a masters related to teaching and certification, it would be very normal for you to not have any experience.  If it's a masters for things like policy or something more specialized, experience may be more valued.

I'm in a masters program right now for Literacy and started with no teaching experience, right out of college, as did 90% of my classmates. 

So if I wanted to get an MEd degree to maybe eventually go onto administration, are the chances of me getting accepted way lower?

12 minutes ago, jaaaayciee said:

So if I wanted to get an MEd degree to maybe eventually go onto administration, are the chances of me getting accepted way lower?

Probably lower. I don't know about "way" lower. It can also be difficult to be an effective administrator without teaching experience. 

4 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

If you have no experience and you are applying to an administration program, then yes, your chances would be lower.  It's not impossible but I have also really never heard of someone getting that degree without at least a year of teaching experience, but usually more.  I have friends who got an MEd in administration after like 5 years of teaching.... these were also at state universities.

Edited by Heather1011

I accept MS students right out of undergrad and my PhD-granting institution accepted students into the PhD program right out of undergrad. However, if administration is your goal, teaching experience is likely going to be very important. Even if you got into the program, finding a job after graduation would probably be pretty difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

hi , honestly i don't think it matters, that you are a MEd completed one or not. if you want some experience, then first start teaching once you make your way there you will eventually know what is best for you later on.