Venting

digits2006

I haven't really given much thought to the geography of my choices. I'm pretty happy where ever I end up, although Iowa is definitely out there. One of the selling points from a grad student I know there was: "We're only like 3 hours away from Chicago." Only three hours.

I don't object to the relative lack of excitement in Iowa - I'm not too fond of big cities, and there's really plenty to do here (especially if you have a car) - but right now I'm hating the weather. I hope you aren't from someplace warm, or you will be miserable in the winter. I walked for ten minutes to the library, and my ears just about fell off.

I don't know if anyone should actually choose one grad school over another due to the weather, but I'm starting to seriously consider it. I desperately want to go somewhere where I can go outside without wanting to die.

I don't see the problem with basing graduate school applications/acceptances on location. True, if you're in a really specific research area--or if you're really set on going to a top-ranked program--there are probably only a few places that "fit." But at least for me, there are SO MANY programs across the country I could see myself be happy at and do research in my area. Maybe I'm just in a popular field with a lot of relevant research going on and professors I could see myself working with. I actually am limited by geography at the moment, so perhaps I'm biased, and maybe "fit" is better known once you visit there in person...but I think geography is a legitimate concern and consideration regarding PhD programs.

Edited by alexis

So I'm not applying anywhere that would make me miserable, but anything within the United States (except for NYC) goes. I still looked at some departments located in NYC, but I was very relieved not to see any relevant faculty members there!

This is not a sentiment I could possibly understand. I don't think you realize exactly what "anything within the United States" means :P

This is not a sentiment I could possibly understand. I don't think you realize exactly what "anything within the United States" means :P

Yeah see. Working poor is liveable in some cities -- Chapel Hill, Atlanta -- than it is someplace like NY. As a native New Yorker that idea did not apply to me. But I did look and was glad nothing major jumped out at me.

Also I have hair issues. I cannot live three hours away from a salon. lol

I think the obsession some people have with "fit" is mostly a reaction to the assumption many people have that applying to grad school is just like applying to college, and the universities can be ranked neatly and easily.

I'm with everyone else on the geography concerns. I really, really hate cold weather and get sick a lot when I live in it so I only applied to one school north of the Mason-Dixon line.

But, as for fit, I think it has a lot more to do with the programs than with rankings. I paid no attention to rankings, but paid careful attention to fit (as in, who would be my advisor and would I be happy spending 5 years working for/with that person).

Actually I do realize what that means - I live in the UK but I am American, born and raised, and have lived in a few different states. New York is out more for reasons of personal preference than responsible reasons like finance - it's too big and dirty for me, plus I don't like the attitude many New Yorkers have to the rest of the country (hope that's not too offensive - but I have several close friends/family members who exhibit this quite clearly!).

After living in a foreign country for my undergraduate years, pretty much ANYTHING in the US will be nice, as long as it's not in NYC and has the basic cultural/social amenities that come with being in a university town. I want to be able to see family and friends on occasion, to be able to afford stuff because the currency is dollars instead of pounds, to be able to drive my car, to shop at a decent sized grocery store, to be able to go out and buy a load of bread without being noticed for my foreign accent, to have access to basic medical care since the NHS doesn't seem bothered whether I live or die, to have my pets live with me without having them quarantined, to be in a somewhat close time zone to the people I speak to on the phone, to be able to AFFORD speaking to people on the phone, the list goes on....

Actually I do realize what that means - I live in the UK but I am American, born and raised, and have lived in a few different states. New York is out more for reasons of personal preference than responsible reasons like finance - it's too big and dirty for me, plus I don't like the attitude many New Yorkers have to the rest of the country (hope that's not too offensive - but I have several close friends/family members who exhibit this quite clearly!).

After living in a foreign country for my undergraduate years, pretty much ANYTHING in the US will be nice, as long as it's not in NYC and has the basic cultural/social amenities that come with being in a university town. I want to be able to see family and friends on occasion, to be able to afford stuff because the currency is dollars instead of pounds, to be able to drive my car, to shop at a decent sized grocery store, to be able to go out and buy a load of bread without being noticed for my foreign accent, to have access to basic medical care since the NHS doesn't seem bothered whether I live or die, to have my pets live with me without having them quarantined, to be in a somewhat close time zone to the people I speak to on the phone, to be able to AFFORD speaking to people on the phone, the list goes on....

Also an American living abroad. Also looking forward to coming back to America. Definitely looking forward to people not noticing my accent/that I'm clearly not a native speaker of the language/that I can't really speak the language. Also looking forward to MEXICAN FOOD. ALSO DIM SUM!

Actually I do realize what that means - I live in the UK but I am American, born and raised, and have lived in a few different states.

I was joking a bit, as I've never met anyone who'd be equally happy in, say, Chicago, San Francisco, and Laramie, WY. You'd just come up with a whole new list of things to dislike after spending some time back in the US :D

As someone who recently returned to the US, I can assure you that this feeling will subside after a while. When you first get back, it's totally AWESOME that you just...know how to do things and know how stuff works. But pretty soon you get back into the zone where you want to be in certain places and not others. So I think location is still important to keep in mind, even when returning from significant time abroad.

To Jacib: YES! All I wanted foreverrrr was good Mexican food.

One thing I find very stressful about the application process is that is gives me pretty strong mood swings, even though normally I am very level-headed and cheerful person. But these days - oh my! One moment I get my hopes up, the next one I hear about someone very talented and smart getting rejected and feel despair again. For me it got to be the most unpleasant aspect of the application. Relatives/friends don't help either by chanting "oh you're so smart, you will get in!". I feel like I will fail them if I get rejected :(

I was joking a bit, as I've never met anyone who'd be equally happy in, say, Chicago, San Francisco, and Laramie, WY. You'd just come up with a whole new list of things to dislike after spending some time back in the US :D

Haha that funny because I am applying for a school in Laramie, WY.

One thing I find very stressful about the application process is that is gives me pretty strong mood swings, even though normally I am very level-headed and cheerful person. But these days - oh my! One moment I get my hopes up, the next one I hear about someone very talented and smart getting rejected and feel despair again. For me it got to be the most unpleasant aspect of the application. Relatives/friends don't help either by chanting "oh you're so smart, you will get in!". I feel like I will fail them if I get rejected :(

100% ditto.

I'm normally patient, but the waiting is taking it's toll on me; especially due to the 'false starts'. I submitted all my supplemental materials, as well as my last apps, around the middle of October to beginning of November. A few weeks later, I called every school to verify their receipt so I wasn't left scrambling at the last second.

Now I'm frustrated because I keep getting e-mails from schools and thinking it's an interview invite when it's just "We have your materials, and we're reviewing your application." Today was the zenith; got a call from a number in San Francisco that's pretty close to the phone number for UCSF, picked up the phone, a woman introduced herself and asked how I was doing...then started saying how she needed the hole in her apartment wall fixed, and that we'd agreed upon a price and she could pay more for a better job, etc. Except that I'm NOT a contractor, and she wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise until I finally hung up out of frustration.

I canNOT wait until the waiting process is over. Nothing frustrates me more than waiting when something's totally out of my control.

I'm normally patient, but the waiting is taking it's toll on me; especially due to the 'false starts'. I submitted all my supplemental materials, as well as my last apps, around the middle of October to beginning of November. A few weeks later, I called every school to verify their receipt so I wasn't left scrambling at the last second.

Now I'm frustrated because I keep getting e-mails from schools and thinking it's an interview invite when it's just "We have your materials, and we're reviewing your application." Today was the zenith; got a call from a number in San Francisco that's pretty close to the phone number for UCSF, picked up the phone, a woman introduced herself and asked how I was doing...then started saying how she needed the hole in her apartment wall fixed, and that we'd agreed upon a price and she could pay more for a better job, etc. Except that I'm NOT a contractor, and she wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise until I finally hung up out of frustration.

I canNOT wait until the waiting process is over. Nothing frustrates me more than waiting when something's totally out of my control.

You're nicer than I am. I would've had some fun with that lady and gotten her to talk me down to an outrageously low price and then scheduled a date to start the work.

im starting to get frustrated that nothings changing. havent heard from my most solid letter writer since november 19th, the early deadline was two weeks ago, applications are going to be reviewed starting today/yesterday, all my apps have been submitted since november, and nothing, absolutely nothing in either app/app status or in terms of letter writers or email communication has changed. everyday i check my email, and nothing, and everyday i check the status of my apps and its the same. neither app is complete either yet, so im not even to the point of looking for a decision and checking every day for that; im still checking to see if my applications are complete, and have been doing so for several weeks now

im starting to get frustrated that nothings changing. havent heard from my most solid letter writer since november 19th, the early deadline was two weeks ago, applications are going to be reviewed starting today/yesterday, all my apps have been submitted since november, and nothing, absolutely nothing in either app/app status or in terms of letter writers or email communication has changed. everyday i check my email, and nothing, and everyday i check the status of my apps and its the same. neither app is complete either yet, so im not even to the point of looking for a decision and checking every day for that; im still checking to see if my applications are complete, and have been doing so for several weeks now

Gazelle, call. Seriously. Both my parents regularly write recs, and need to be reminded.