Low Cum GPA, High Major, Good experience ?

tesha191

Question

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of applying to grad school, however I need help to figure out the best approach to this issue. So I graduated with a sub 3.0 GPA (2.87) and a high major GPA (3.5) in IT. I've done pretty well in my major related courses but my gen eds were always my weak point. Since 2013 I've had 2 software related internships in the field (software testing) and currently work full time at a well known computer company in the same field. I've taken the GRE last year and my scores weren't great but I plan to retake them in the next few weeks. Do I have a chance at getting accepted into a M.S of Computer Science program ? Also I'm in the process of finishing my statement of purpose and I'm not sure if I should mention my major gpa at all. Please help !

5 answers to this question

I actually had the same situation as you. Not-so-high cGPA with a higher-than-average upper division GPA in Statistics major. However, I believe there's a couple biggest (and may be obvious) notes that I observed:

1. Depending on your major, are you well acquainted with the professors that might consider funding for you? I believe that depending on the program and school you are applying, the professors may play a major role on student acceptance decisions.

2. I am a Canadian who applied for a Canadian school and fortunately for me, they prioritized on accepting Canadians which only made up 10% of the applicants (I saw the stats and numbers on the school's stat acceptance report that was available publicly). That again depends on different schools, but it could be a significant factor.

3. Highly suggest you to apply to more back up schools just in case. 

So conclusion is yes, I believe that you can get in a MSc program in Computer Science. Be passionate on your statement of purpose, and definitely be descriptive on the work you've done outside of school.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

In my case, my undergrad GPA was abysmal. As in, I was really good at billiards and had a lot of fun, but grades, not so much. When I got serious, my major GPA was solid, and I did get into a master's program - but they admitted me on academic probation status, and I had to earn a 3.3 average in my first semester to remain in the program (which I did). So, I'd apply a few places, make sure the professors you want to work with actually get to know you and know that your GPA is not representative of your standard of work, and throw everything you've got (like your ginourmous scholarship) into your statement of purpose. I also made sure that folk writing my letters of recommendation addressed this issue - they all effectively said "Kid had a rough start in school, but I'm really impressed with him and he's done quite well in his field". 

@missleung thank you for your response ! In regards to funding I am currently on a scholarship that fully covered my undergraduate expenses and will also cover my graduate tuition/expenses, should I mention this in my statement of purpose ?