No acceptances - advice for next time??

pinkorchids

Question

So here I am recently graduated from undergrad, and I received rejections from all the programs I applied to. I met minimums for all of these programs but did not have a "competitive application". I was  fully aware that my application lacked competitive aspects, but was hoping for a shot in the dark.:unsure:

That being said...I am here looking for any honest advice! I wold particularly like to hear from anyone that has had to apply more than once before receiving an acceptance. Being an SLP has been my dream for so many years and I just can't give up the first time around.

My stats:

Undergrad degree B.S. in Com. Sci. and Disorders - 3.475 GPA, ~3.7 GPA in my classes for the major. Dean's list 4 semesters, President's list 1 semester.

GRE - 147V, 147Q,  4.5W

No volunteer/shadowing or research experience. My only extra-curricular was being a NSSHLA member for senior year. I worked my entire college career to support myself (full time for a year and a half of being in the major). I was a manager at my job so have a lot of leadership and people/interpersonal skills from that. Because of my demanding work schedule I didn't really have time for volunteering or research opportunities.

My plan as of  now is to find a job somewhat related to the field...looking at special needs clinics, nursing facilities, maybe something in the school system. I also plan to being shadow SLPs in different settings. Conveniently, I am a local to where I attended undergrad and plan to stay in the area. I think this will be beneficial because  I can continue to keep in touch with professors and get to know them better so that I can get better letters of recommendation the second time around. I will take the GRE again to raise my score. The first time I studied maybe 2 months before, this time i plan to study longer before taking and utilize more study tools. 

Any advice? Do I have a shot if I can get work and volunteer experience, and raise my GRE score? Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Thanks a bunch!!!:D

3 answers to this question

On May 15, 2016 at 1:47 PM, pinkorchids said:

So here I am recently graduated from undergrad, and I received rejections from all the programs I applied to. I met minimums for all of these programs but did not have a "competitive application". I was  fully aware that my application lacked competitive aspects, but was hoping for a shot in the dark.:unsure:

That being said...I am here looking for any honest advice! I wold particularly like to hear from anyone that has had to apply more than once before receiving an acceptance. Being an SLP has been my dream for so many years and I just can't give up the first time around.

My stats:

Undergrad degree B.S. in Com. Sci. and Disorders - 3.475 GPA, ~3.7 GPA in my classes for the major. Dean's list 4 semesters, President's list 1 semester.

GRE - 147V, 147Q,  4.5W

No volunteer/shadowing or research experience. My only extra-curricular was being a NSSHLA member for senior year. I worked my entire college career to support myself (full time for a year and a half of being in the major). I was a manager at my job so have a lot of leadership and people/interpersonal skills from that. Because of my demanding work schedule I didn't really have time for volunteering or research opportunities.

My plan as of  now is to find a job somewhat related to the field...looking at special needs clinics, nursing facilities, maybe something in the school system. I also plan to being shadow SLPs in different settings. Conveniently, I am a local to where I attended undergrad and plan to stay in the area. I think this will be beneficial because  I can continue to keep in touch with professors and get to know them better so that I can get better letters of recommendation the second time around. I will take the GRE again to raise my score. The first time I studied maybe 2 months before, this time i plan to study longer before taking and utilize more study tools. 

Any advice? Do I have a shot if I can get work and volunteer experience, and raise my GRE score? Any suggestions or comments are welcome! Thanks a bunch!!!:D

Apply to Yeshiva University! They are still accepting applications and I have the same stats as you and I got accepted :) 

A gre score below 300 is pretty low since you don't have any research experience to go with it. Lifting that score above the 300 mark would definitely help. 

Also... finding work, even if it is only mostly related, coupled with volunteer experience will definitely give you an extra boost. 

You could also look into less competitive programs? If that's an option.

I think your GRE scores are on the low side. If you can manage to raise them above 300, you would be in a much better position. You're almost there, so you can do it. Your cumulative GPA is not really competitive either, but your major (and I assume last 60) GPA is decent. I would look into programs that only take the last 60 GPA into account. There were a couple posts on here listing some of those programs recently. Good luck with the next cycle.