Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all


I need help regarding my DS160 form for the US student Visa.

I received an admission into a PhD program with full funding for tuition fee along with a stipend.

Under the column "person or entity paying for your trip", should I write that I am sponsored by the department or should I mention "self"?

I am confused and hope seniors can help me out here.







Edited by ndp13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they probably mean the source to fund the trip like ticket? Since you are funded, it is more likely that the assistantship will be explicitly written on your I-20 and you probably won't need a financial certificate/statement. I think if you are paying the flight ticket, you can put "self". Otherwise, if it is paid by other party, you can write down that entity. I am not an expert but this is what I probably understand from the situation as an international student too. And you certainly want to ask your school advisor who can know these very well.

Edited by lnguyen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what I understand, the US government means your entire stay in the US when they mention "trip" (very confusing, I know!). This is because some other Visa's are associated with much shorter stays, in which case the word "trip" is appropriate.

I listed my university's main address and in the "Relationship to you:" field I wrote: "University where I will do my graduate studies". I got my F1 Visa no problem, so that seems anecdotal evidence that at least they don't find it weird/suspect when you fill out the form like this. 

Good luck with your application!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use