Submitting just after deadline

pip

I know, I am a horrible procrastinator. Four minutes before deadline, I was proofreading my writing sample. Three minutes before, I started trying to upload it. You know where this is going. The server finally cleared up at about five minutes after deadline, and I submitted anyway.

Has anybody ever heard of a grace period for online application submissions?

It's not my top choice school, but I'd still like a shot. I emailed the gsas admin while the server was jammed and asked him if there was any precedent for slightlylate applications being considered.

I guess we'll see.

I seriously doubt anyone will care, as long as all of the application materials are present when they actually sit down to go through them.

I don't agree fully with this since they likely won't look at them until after the holidays and your reasoning would allow people to submit up to 2 weeks after everyone else, which obviously isn't fair. That being said, I doubt you will be penalized for submitting minutes after midnight.

I think this is one of those things that depends on the program. I've received emails from a few schools who basically said, we know that the server gets jammed on the night the applications are due, turn them early, because late applicants will not be accepted. The question is, what does late mean? No one can say for sure, but I think you'll be fine--especially considering you probably paid the app fee. I don't think applications sent two weeks late will be considered, even if the AdCom hasn't yet convened. From what I understand, the only real grace periods are given to materials mailed in (preferably postmarked by the deadline), GRE test scores coming from ETS for a date in late November (subject scores, mostly), and Letters of Rec (to give colleagues a few weeks of extra time).

I think you'll be fine.

I agree that in most cases, it will probably be fine (and if it was just a few minutes due to server overload, there should be some leeway). However, I have heard of some super competitive programs where if anything is submitted after the deadline, the app isn't considered, or put at the bottom of the pile (even if LORs are what is late)...it allows them to weed people out and cut down on the number of applicants they have to consider. Of course, they'll still cash your payment. In Donald Asher's book, there was a quote from an admin committee member, who said that they take the money but won't consider the application. One of my programs was very clear that their deadline was 5pm EST, and everything absolutely had to be in by then (even though they wouldn't look at them til the new year). They actually said something to the effect that "if your completed application--including all supplemental materials, LORs, transcripts, GRE scores--is not in our hands at the deadline on December 15, we will not consider your application." Ouch. I think that's the exception rather than the rule though.

Edited by alexis