Graduate Assistantship

easybreezy

Hi all! I was recently sent an email from my school to complete an application for a GA position.  I don't have any former research experience, but I currently work as an library assistant and have been a tutor and teacher in the past - just some background info on me.  Do you all have any tips or advice on how to make my application a bit stronger?  Thanks in advance!

The jobs you listed as part of your background sound like strengths, even if they're not directly related to the research you will be doing as a GA. I would emphasize the skills that you gained from them and how those skills could be of use in your potential position as a GA. Good luck! 

I applied for an assistantship at the beginning of April. I have absolutely no research experience. But part of the application wanted me to list all the classes relevant to the assistantship (which was pretty much every single class related to my major). I also have worked for almost two years as a visual merchandiser and the MS program I am doing is global merchandising. I found out a couple weeks ago I received the assistantship. I'm not sure how many applied, but the director did say they received a lot of applications for it. Research or not, I'm sure it helped that I already had my undergrad in merchandising and have already been working in this capacity.

@serenade great, thank you! I was able to incorporate that into my application and resume.  

@marycaryne congratulations!!! :) and thank you for the tips.  It's definitely reassuring.  I have experience in community health promotion (which is what my concentration will be in the MPH program).  All of the classes that I've taken related to that during undergrad, I successfully completed.  Did the global merchandising department specifically say how long it would take for them to review applications?  I know not all schools are the same, but my school (Georgia State University) didn't specify when they would notify and grant the assistantships.

@easybreezy I didn't have any information about how long it would take. Honestly I had assumed I missed the deadline already (going by something I read) so hadn't applied. The program director emailed me and said she was going through the applications and noticed I had not applied and wanted to make sure I didn't miss the application before she completed her decisions. So she was already reviewing the applications by the time I sent mine in (April 6th, same day she emailed me). I still don't even know when the actual deadline was, and I never heard about how long it would take to be notified. I wound up receiving the email about it on May 17th, and the letter attached was dated May 16th.

I would apply, the worst they can say is no! I would definitely highlight your experience and show how you have been exposed to research through theory. Then you can go in detail how you would be eager to learn the applicable/practical side of your field

Make sure to read the application carefully - some GA applications only want you to list experience "at the university level or higher," and some are only interested in your experience from the institution you're currently attending and none before. Good luck!

@Need Coffee in an IV that's exactly what I was thinking.  If I don't get it this time around, I'll get to know faculty and current GA's and TA's to see if they have any advice.  I have a feeling that I may be a strong applicant *fingers crossed*

@maelia8 thank you so much! I went and combed through the application to make sure I provided everything that is relevant lol. I was told we'll hear back from the school sometime in July.