Online SLP programs....Do or Don't?

Current student at the University of Tennessee exploring my options. UTK is of course my dream school and I love all things "East Tennessee". I've made a life here and I'm trying to prepare myself for the possibility that it may or may not happen for me. I know of two programs in the state that offer online programs and have also see many from around the country advertised. I would appreciate your thoughts on online programs and if you think they are just as good as any other "regular" masters SLP program!

Have you taken any online courses? I did my 1st bachelor's in-person and am doing my 2nd online. I think my personality does better with in-person coursework but the only option for an in-person 2nd bachelor's was more than twice as expensive and would've required a commute that's 75+ minutes each way. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

Right now I'm going to be targeting in-person master's but if I can arrange a good SLPA fieldwork placement that leads to a paid SLPA job, I'd consider an online or low-residency hybrid program. I should know by the time I'd need to make a decision about where to apply.

1 minute ago, Crimson Wife said:

Have you taken any online courses? I did my 1st bachelor's in-person and am doing my 2nd online. I think my personality does better with in-person coursework but the only option for an in-person 2nd bachelor's was more than twice as expensive and would've required a commute that's 75+ minutes each way. Yeah, that wasn't going to happen.

Right now I'm going to be targeting in-person master's but if I can arrange a good SLPA fieldwork placement that leads to a paid SLPA job, I'd consider an online or low-residency hybrid program. I should know by the time I'd need to make a decision about where to apply.

I have! I went to East Tennessee State for a majority of my undergrad and at least half of my classes were online or had some sort of online portion. I'm comfortable with it but I prefer to be learning in-person. Just trying to have as many options as possible. 

To make sure I understand, you´re asking us to confirm for you that online-programs are just as good as traditional brick and mortar programs, no? Just as a note, I think you´re going to experience some confirmation bias with that question.

My suggestion though would be to contact some of these schools with online degree programs and ask to be put in touch with current students OR better yet graduates of the program. The graduates will be able to tell you how the job market treated them after graduation (did they feel prepared, were their degree´s seen equally for hiring purposes, are they successful in their jobs, etc, etc). Most schools would be happy to do that for you. 

I'm also interested in online grad programs. I've asked a few people who are working as SLPs and are in positions to interview/hire SLPs. One was in a hospital setting, this other for a huge school district, and one for a private clinic - they all said that the students they interviewed/hired from ASHA accredited online programs were just as qualified and knowledgeable/prepared as those from traditional schools. ASHA is super strict with their accreditation. It boils down to, are you the kind of person who can handle being a remote student? I'm still debating this for myself!

I think if you had the opportunity in-person education will always have more benefits/reasons to attend than an in-person program.  If you cannot move for parenting/family/job/other reasons you will still be qualified with an online education but SLP is such a strange profession to be taught online in my opinion.  That person to person contact, meeting mentors and collaborating with future colleagues etc is so incredibly valuable.  I say if you can do in-person, do it!

If you cannot, really vet that program and make sure they are going to give you the support and mentorship you deserve!  Also opinions from past students on how prepared they felt when they really started working is also something to consider when selecting a distance program.

Online/low-residency programs that allow the student to earn money in a related job might be the financially smart choice. If I had to choose between "take on lots of debt to attend in-person" vs. "work as a SLPA or SLP on waiver while going to school online", the latter would win out assuming I had a job that fit with my long-term career goals.

Also, some online programs (like my undergrad, CSUN) are brick and mortar but also offer an online graduate program.  Ours was the first in the US, from what I've read.  And the diploma you receive from the CSUN online Master's is identical to the one you receive from the "regular" in-person program.  Which means, unless you mention it intentionally, nobody would know whether you attended in person or online.