LoR is this person okay?

selena920

Hi,

I am applying for MFA arts programs and need 3 recommenders. I have two: one I worked with professionally and one academically. I feel confident that they both will write excellent recommendations attesting to my talent, character, etc. What if my third recommender was an unorthodox choice? I am a somewhat unorthodox applicant as well. The person I am thinking of asking is very special to me because we ran a marathon together this year. We were both members of the same charity team, we had never met before we happened upon each other during the race. (We were wearing the same charity bib.) We encouraged each other along the way and toward the end, when she could barely walk, I refused to let her drop out or give up. I don't want to exploit the event in a conceited "look at what I did" way but I think it may be a neat way capture my personality, my drive to succeed and my refusal to give up. It was a deeply inspirational event and it has affected the way I plan on living the rest of my life. Plus I'm damn proud that I finished! Thoughts?

It might do you some good for your personality, but from what I understand, prestige is everything. This is why they always tell you that even if you work in a lab where you deal almost completely with a grad student but never the primary investigator (PI), still get the PI to do it just because they have some credibility. I assume this person is not an academic professor you happened to run with, nor is he your supervisor nor someone, nor a researcher? Just someone random? If this is the case, and you really want to include it in your application, I would recommend having him as an extra LoR on top of three stronger LoR. I recall reading in Donald Asher's grad school essays about one girl applying to law school and she included a LoR written by her 2 year old sister in crayon asking adcomms to let her in. Apparently she got denied everywhere (although it's plausible that she had a poor application).

If this is someone with prestige on the other hand, I would be less apprehensive.

A little more background- I'm an actor looking to get into an MFA Acting program where the entire admissions process is audition based and completely subjective. Letters of recommendation, transcripts and personal statements are definitely secondary. Those who take risks, make strong, bold choices and differentiate themselves succeed. Those who are timid, indecisive and blend into the pack simply don't. Personality and originality are everything. It is a horse of a different color from the rest of academia... Bet you never had to walk around in your underpants onstage in front of 300 people during your undergrad. Tangent-I would never ask a child to make a crayon drawing. Wow, that's just wow. Even the crazy theatre people would think that was odd and inappropriate. The person whom I ran the marathon with is very well educated and works in social services. I am confident she would write a great letter.

What if my third recommender was an unorthodox choice? I am a somewhat unorthodox applicant as well. The person I am thinking of asking is very special to me because we ran a marathon together this year. We were both members of the same charity team, we had never met before we happened upon each other during the race. (We were wearing the same charity bib.) We encouraged each other along the way and toward the end, when she could barely walk, I refused to let her drop out or give up. I don't want to exploit the event in a conceited "look at what I did" way but I think it may be a neat way capture my personality, my drive to succeed and my refusal to give up. It was a deeply inspirational event and it has affected the way I plan on living the rest of my life. Plus I'm damn proud that I finished! Thoughts?

I don't think this would be a good call . . .

I actually hadn't made up my mind yet which is why I asked the question and was hoping for nice people to give me an opinion.

Onstage in your underpants and not an actor? Poledancer then?

I don't think it's a good idea either. Eh, just one of my many what if ideas at 2 am. Thanks to those who tried to be helpful.

I actually hadn't made up my mind yet which is why I asked the question and was hoping for nice people to give me an opinion.

Onstage in your underpants and not an actor? Poledancer then?

I don't think it's a good idea either. Eh, just one of my many what if ideas at 2 am. Thanks to those who tried to be helpful.

Can you contact the department to see what they think? They might be able to give you some guidance. Usually they'll say their preferences, or might leave it open for you to decide.

I know what you're saying about the theatre world being different though (and MFA programs looking for you to "stand out" in an unique way). I have friends & a brother involved in it, and it's totally not the same thing that many of us are doing for our application to PhD programs.

Also, I had a peer reference when I applied to master's programs. Maybe a bad idea, don't know, but my program was more professionally based, not looking for all academic references, and left the guidance pretty open. For letters, I had one professor, one supervisor (I was working at the time), and a peer, though her letter was written as a co-worker and could attest to my work ethic, extensive projects we worked on, etc. I was accepted to the school that required a 3rd letter (as well as the other 2 I applied to), and it's the one I currently attend. I wouldn't do this for a PhD program. But I guess my point is: I think (based on the information you've provided) it would be okay to use this as a reference. The MFA route is unique and different from the ones we know about and are pursuing, and the best way for you to know is to contact the department or maybe talk to people who've been through the process, etc. The program should be able to provide you with some sort of guidance on what kind of letters they look for.

Good luck!

I was having out at the math center at my school one day and I heard one of the students ask one of the tutors if he is applying to grad school. He said yes, in a few months. She told him to let him know when he was applying because she would write him a letter of recommendation, as someone who had been tutored by him!!

So I guess ad-comms will see letters from all sorts of folks.

I was having out at the math center at my school one day and I heard one of the students ask one of the tutors if he is applying to grad school. He said yes, in a few months. She told him to let him know when he was applying because she would write him a letter of recommendation, as someone who had been tutored by him!!

So I guess ad-comms will see letters from all sorts of folks.

This is a fairly common situation in programs that use a separate application for graduate assistantships (i think, or at least i've heard of it). i can't imagine that many schools want a LOR from a tutee for the general application.

This is a fairly common situation in programs that use a separate application for graduate assistantships (i think, or at least i've heard of it). i can't imagine that many schools want a LOR from a tutee for the general application.

I would suggest doing three traditional letters and then adding this as a fourth. This way, if they want to discard the last they can without it being detrimental to your app. However, you still get the uniqueness. I think it is the best of all worlds. However, make sure to call and ask if four letters are okay. Most places I've dealt with are fine with it.

I don't think that what this person can say about you is likely to help your application. If you're going to have a non-academic recommender, wouldn't it be better to have one who can talk about your amazing creativity, energy, spark, zaniness, or...whatever it is that your program might be looking for? It doesn't sound like "persistent" or "athletic" or "collegial" are necessarily the things.