Does NSERC USRA influence CGS-M results

Clinpsyc01

I've heard on multiple occasions that receiving an NSERC USRA significantly increases your likelihood of getting NSERC funding for graduate school. Is this true, and does it increase your likelihood of SSHRC or CIHR funding? I know that students who get the USRA likely have a high GPA and pretty good research experience, and the award shows that they're capable of getting funded, etc. 

I'm mainly concerned because I didn't hold an NSERC USRA during my undergrad for several reasons, and took other research awards instead, not realizing that it might influence my chances for funding later on. I'll most likely be applying to SSHRC, not NSERC, so does it even matter? 

In general, winning previous awards helps you win future awards. So, it's not that the USRA specifically helps you get a NSERC/SSHRC/CIHR graduate award, but the fact that people who have won research awards in the past, such as USRA, means they are more likely to win more awards. Also, there is certainly a correlation between the traits that award committees look for (GPA, experience, etc.) and those who have won awards in the past.

So, in your case, having other research awards will put you at no disadvantage compared to a hypothetical situation where you took the USRA instead.

Along with what @TakeruK said, getting previous awards helps you get future awards, in general.

I never got USRAs in undergrad, because there were so few and your GPA had to be insanely amazing to get them. Also, my school didn't care about experience, and it may have worked against me in the higher years (because they try to use the USRAs to get people involved in research who aren't already).

Although I never received any major awards in undergrad, I got OGS when entering my first year of my Masters, so obviously you don't need the USRA in all cases. However, different schools have different applicant pools, and you may be going somewhere more/less competitive, and the applicant pool will be different.

In most cases, there are also many more OGS/SSHRC/CIHR awards available than there were USRAs.

As you mentioned, the basic underlying qualities are common to receiving both awards. For this reason, you shouldn't worry about the USRA. Good luck!

I'm not sure if my answer will help you, but sharing my experience if it would help you.

I never applied for the USRA because I was an international student and you had to be either a permanent resident/Canadian citizen to qualify for the USRA. Because of my international student status, I also didn't qualify for mostly all research funding.

I very recently became a permanent resident. And not having those other awards didn't seem to hurt me. I got a CGSM this year under CIHR.

• 1 month later...