MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 4:59 PM, pizza17 said:

Hey There!

I'm leaning towards dlsph and mac, i'm looking into some of the online MPH programs but I'm on the fence about those, what about you?

Hey, I'm also on the fence about those. What are your concerns? 

hey guys! i'm thinking of applying to uoft, mac, guelph and western, although i'm scared my gpa won't be good enough :\ it's at a 3.56 right now and all the schools in ontario seem so competitive. i know most of them only look at the last 10 credits but i'm wondering how that works exactly. how do they decide which courses to count as your last couple if there are five in a semester? if anyone would like to shed some light on the matter, let me know! thanks :)

On October 19, 2016 at 9:32 PM, mariont19 said:

hey guys! i'm thinking of applying to uoft, mac, guelph and western, although i'm scared my gpa won't be good enough :\ it's at a 3.56 right now and all the schools in ontario seem so competitive. i know most of them only look at the last 10 credits but i'm wondering how that works exactly. how do they decide which courses to count as your last couple if there are five in a semester? if anyone would like to shed some light on the matter, let me know! thanks :)

Which Ontario schools only look at your last 10 credits? (I might be confused) so are you saying that some schools only look at your most recent year?? 

On 10/19/2016 at 0:16 AM, friesandwater said:

Hey, I'm also on the fence about those. What are your concerns? 

Some people I know who did their MPH online mentioned there's little opportunity to network with faculty and other students 

Hey everyone, I am a current student at Guelph U in the MPH program, so if anyone has questions on admissions, admission statistics, or anything else I would be happy to try (emphasis on try haha) and help answer any questions. 

Edited by Mark Reist

17 hours ago, Markk122 said:

Hey everyone, I am a current student at Guelph U in the MPH program, so if anyone has questions on admissions, admission statistics, or anything else I would be happy to try (emphasis on try haha) and help answer any questions. 

Hi! I wold love to know about Guelph's admission statistics if you have a chance! 

6 hours ago, samgreenwood said:

Hi! I wold love to know about Guelph's admission statistics if you have a chance! 

Hey! From what I remember for Guelph our class this year has 25 people and I believe there were upwards of 360+  applicants for the program. I would say most people in our program this year had a  3.7 GPA or higher in their last two years as well. 

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently in the MPH Epidemiology program at U of T (1st year), so if you have any questions about the program, I'd love to help! Of course, I've only been in the program for about 7 weeks now, but I can at least share what I know. I can also share my experience on my application and decision process on choosing the right Master's program (for me), and I think this may be helpful for a lot of students since we likely share similar concerns (e.g. money, location, future job prospects, etc.). 

On 10/21/2016 at 0:30 AM, samgreenwood said:

Which Ontario schools only look at your last 10 credits? (I might be confused) so are you saying that some schools only look at your most recent year?? 

by last 10 credits i meant the last two years (at least that's how it works at UofT)

I'm applying to only Usask, mainly because I live here and am attending my undergrad here. I'm a little nervous over whether I will get in, my last 2 years average should be around an 80% after this term. Their minimum is 70%, and no GRE required. I'm hoping my tons of volunteering experience will give me a nice boost :)

hello

I graduated in bachelors in medicine from India but my last two years scores are 60%, thats considered first class division. i have one year experience in a hospital and now i am just thinking if applying with this profile is gonna make it happen for me.

is there a hope i can get into the program of MPH in Canada with/without GRE?

What should i do?

any help is appreciated.

Thank you

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 3:31 AM, chandni said:

hello

I graduated in bachelors in medicine from India but my last two years scores are 60%, thats considered first class division. i have one year experience in a hospital and now i am just thinking if applying with this profile is gonna make it happen for me.

is there a hope i can get into the program of MPH in Canada with/without GRE?

What should i do?

any help is appreciated.

Thank you

WhIch universities are you planning on applying to? 

Edited by Shd90

hey guys, really nice to see people out here to help.

I have done my dental graduation from india and have done post graduation as well. so that gave me some research experience. have been working for the past 4 years now.

but felt it just wasnt enough. so want to get into mph. toefl score 109, prob though is my grad GPA is 3.2. i was thinking of applying to Waterloo, UofA, Saskatchewan, GUELPH and McMaster...any views as to the univ that i should totally avoid or what are my chances.

Thanks

Edited by PERIDENT

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 8:10 PM, And1 said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently in the MPH Epidemiology program at U of T (1st year), so if you have any questions about the program, I'd love to help! Of course, I've only been in the program for about 7 weeks now, but I can at least share what I know. I can also share my experience on my application and decision process on choosing the right Master's program (for me), and I think this may be helpful for a lot of students since we likely share similar concerns (e.g. money, location, future job prospects, etc.). 

Hello!

I have applied to UofT for Epidemiology and I have a few questions. 

Did you take the GRE? What was your score like? (I took it because it was recommended but I may have tanked my quantitative section and I worry that will make me a less competitive applicant).

Statistics requirement - My undergrad stats course seems to be missing 1 portion: regression analysis. Will that disqualify me?

Thank you!

Hi Everyone, 

I discovered similar threads from previous years earlier today and I am glad a space like this exists. It's really nice to share experiences. 

I am applying to 5 schools - UBC, UofT, Queens, McMaster and York. I am applying to the MSc Kinesiology (with specialization in Epidemiology) at York. At the other schools, the degrees are MPH degrees in Public Health, with the exception of UofT, which is an MPH in Epidemiology. 

I am really nervous, but hoping to at least get into one school. My preferres schools are Uoft, UBC, McMaster, Queens and York in that order :) 

9 hours ago, purpleace said:

Hello!

I have applied to UofT for Epidemiology and I have a few questions. 

Did you take the GRE? What was your score like? (I took it because it was recommended but I may have tanked my quantitative section and I worry that will make me a less competitive applicant).

Statistics requirement - My undergrad stats course seems to be missing 1 portion: regression analysis. Will that disqualify me?

Thank you!

Hey there! 

The GRE thing is totally new for this upcoming app session, so luckily I didn't have to take it. So unfortunately, I can't comment on what I got or what is even considered a good score since I never did it :P 

As for the statistics requirement, I think it would be best to contact the school about it to make sure. We do cover regression in the last two weeks of the term, but it's more of a focus in the second biostats course next term. So my gut feeling is that it won't disqualify you, but again, contact them to make sure! 

Hope that helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello!

Can't believe the time to apply is already here! Anyways, I am applying to the University of Alberta's MPH in epi, and SFU's MPH in population health sciences.  Quick questions though: how large is SFU's MPH incoming cohort in a given year? Does anyone know? Also, how important in CEPH accredation in Canada? Is it mostly important if in the future one hopes to work in the U.S.? Thanks! 

Is anyone NOT doing the GRE when applying to uofT epi? 

I applied last year and was waitlisted and am applying again this year but found out THIS WEEK that they are recommending the GRE. Im a bit annoyed as I never would have thought to have to repeatedly check the admission requirements (from my understanding this has only been announced since fall). Im still feeling pretty silly that I am only finding this out now  Im going to write it but if i do horribly I am thinking i may just not send results (especially considering I have about a week or less to prepare).  Anyone else considering an application without these results?

11 hours ago, rapini said:

Is anyone NOT doing the GRE when applying to uofT epi? 

I applied last year and was waitlisted and am applying again this year but found out THIS WEEK that they are recommending the GRE. Im a bit annoyed as I never would have thought to have to repeatedly check the admission requirements (from my understanding this has only been announced since fall). Im still feeling pretty silly that I am only finding this out now  Im going to write it but if i do horribly I am thinking i may just not send results (especially considering I have about a week or less to prepare).  Anyone else considering an application without these results?

I am applying without the gre scores too. I was blindsided(specially since I had viewed the admission requirements a few times since January to not miss out anything) when I read they strongly recommend taking GRE for epidemiology from this year and it's compulsory from next year. I am serious about the application but I'm so unprepared for taking the GRE. Being an international applicant we are not required to take GRE here. This is my top choice school and submitting the application without gre scores is freaking me out but there was no way I could have managed to give the exam on time. :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if there is someone out there that also has applied for the master in community health at UofT? Or knows someone attending this program....

Any info is welcome!