Engineering PhD,I need your suggestions for graduate schools?

mteng

Question

Hello,

I am master student in mechanical engineering in final year.i am doing my master in same university where i had my bachelor.my undergrad gpa was 2.68/4 and my master gpa 3.79/4.I will made a SCI index publication(First writer,Accepted) and have 2 and half year job experience industry related to my field.Supposing i will have very good scores from toefl and gre and i ll make good LOR and SOP,which graduate schools i should apply for in America?In fact i dont think to apply for top 20 or 30 schools as i think my chance is too low.I will be happy to hear your suggestions.Thanks you

2 answers to this question

Hey, I am sure someone with more insight than me will give you better advices, but let me share my thoughts.

First of all you need to set some parameters. Are you ready to face harsh winters or this doesn't matter; or will you happy at city universities or would you prefer an isolated campus... More importantly, you need to refine your research interests to find labs. And don't forget to think about the prestige & industry ties & proud factor of the schools. You see, these parameters will affect your happiness therefore your efficiency. I think these parameters are more important than the universities' ranks.

For example, lets say you into robotics- you would love being in a cool big campus where climate x or y - then i would tell you at least 5-6 schools. So think whats important to you. Then do a list of ambitious, reach and safety schools.

People who don't know you can't choose or suggest schools for you.