Geology programs that either don't require the GRE or allow you to waiver it

columbia09

On 7/14/2016 at 8:55 AM, columbia09 said:

I know Oklahoma State doesn't require it 

1 hour ago, columbia09 said:

Ehhhh I rather just go to Oklahoma state 

Where did you get the idea that Oklahoma state doesn't require the GRE? They do require it.

Students must also take and submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). There is no minimum GRE score to apply. However, most incoming M.S. and Ph.D. students are expected to have GRE scores (quantitative + verbal) above 1100 or 300 on the new GRE scale.

3 hours ago, GeoDUDE! said:

There are also things like emergency teaching credentials: states are always looking for more science teachers. 

Which states?  Most of what I've see in the news points to systematic down-scaling of public education employment at the grade school level in dozens of states (eg. Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, Texas, Louisiana, New York, the list goes on). And again, assuming one get one of these gigs, what is the likelihood that someone using it as a fallback lasts more than a year or two is such a high stress, high workload, low pay job unless they are good at it and want to be at it?

8 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

Where did you get the idea that Oklahoma state doesn't require the GRE? They do require it.

Students must also take and submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). There is no minimum GRE score to apply. However, most incoming M.S. and Ph.D. students are expected to have GRE scores (quantitative + verbal) above 1100 or 300 on the new GRE scale.

I got in last year without submitting a GRE on the website it only says the following 

Application Requirements:
     Three Letters of Recommendation   
     Statement of Purpose
     Minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
     All person’s for whom English is a second language must submit a passing TOEFL or IETLS score. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test) or an IETLS score of 6.5 is required. Refer to the OSU Graduate College website for exemptions to this rule.

Edited by columbia09

4 hours ago, columbia09 said:

I got in last year without submitting a GRE on the website it only says the following 

Application Requirements:
     Three Letters of Recommendation   
     Statement of Purpose
     Minimum of a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale
     All person’s for whom English is a second language must submit a passing TOEFL or IETLS score. A minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test) or an IETLS score of 6.5 is required. Refer to the OSU Graduate College website for exemptions to this rule.

That's really interesting that you got in because I literally copied that above statement (Students must also take and submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). There is no minimum GRE score to apply. However, most incoming M.S. and Ph.D. students are expected to have GRE scores (quantitative + verbal) above 1100 or 300 on the new GRE scale.) from the department website yesterday. When I applied there, a gre score was required and you couldnt submit the application without it.

http://geology.okstate.edu/people/2-uncategorised/38-graduate-apply

I guess you should use that inconsistency to your advantage and apply there again.

4 hours ago, sjoh197 said:

That's really interesting that you got in because I literally copied that above statement (Students must also take and submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). There is no minimum GRE score to apply. However, most incoming M.S. and Ph.D. students are expected to have GRE scores (quantitative + verbal) above 1100 or 300 on the new GRE scale.) from the department website yesterday. When I applied there, a gre score was required and you couldnt submit the application without it.

http://geology.okstate.edu/people/2-uncategorised/38-graduate-apply

I guess you should use that inconsistency to your advantage and apply there again.

I called them up a little bit ago it still isn't a requirement. They do highly recommend that you submit one though 

1 minute ago, columbia09 said:

I called them up a little bit ago it still isn't a requirement. They do highly recommend that you submit one though 

It's such a pain when the information that you get is inconsistent. lol

1 minute ago, sjoh197 said:

It's such a pain when the information that you get is inconsistent. lol

Yeah that's why I'm like I wonder if other schools do this too. I was hesitant to accept their offer to because they wouldn't fly me down to check out the school or meet my advisor which I thought was strange. They were tight on funds for that but still they should try flying students down to see if this is where they would like to be for the next 2-3 years 

3 hours ago, columbia09 said:

Yeah that's why I'm like I wonder if other schools do this too. I was hesitant to accept their offer to because they wouldn't fly me down to check out the school or meet my advisor which I thought was strange. They were tight on funds for that but still they should try flying students down to see if this is where they would like to be for the next 2-3 years 

Thats pretty common for lower ranked programs, to be honest. I went to my MS institution without ever visiting the city. I feel like you need to calibrate your expectations, based on what you are asking for. 

20 hours ago, Usmivka said:

Which states?  Most of what I've see in the news points to systematic down-scaling of public education employment at the grade school level in dozens of states (eg. Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, Texas, Louisiana, New York, the list goes on). And again, assuming one get one of these gigs, what is the likelihood that someone using it as a fallback lasts more than a year or two is such a high stress, high workload, low pay job unless they are good at it and want to be at it?

This is true, however, there is still a shortage of science teachers in almost every state (and a serious drought in CA... hahaha), so if you are going to get hired, its going to be if you can teach math and science. I'm not saying its a good option, more of that you need to try a bunch of things in this job market. If you are set on one particular type of job and aren't the top of your game its going to be very difficult. 

8 hours ago, GeoDUDE! said:

Thats pretty common for lower ranked programs, to be honest. I went to my MS institution without ever visiting the city. I feel like you need to calibrate your expectations, based on what you are asking for. 

This is true, however, there is still a shortage of science teachers in almost every state (and a serious drought in CA... hahaha), so if you are going to get hired, its going to be if you can teach math and science. I'm not saying its a good option, more of that you need to try a bunch of things in this job market. If you are set on one particular type of job and aren't the top of your game its going to be very difficult. 

I thought Oklahoma State was one of the better programs since they have so many connections with oil 

Stephen F Austin State University in in Nacadoches, TX does not require a GRE. You do not even need to submit scores.

ASU requires scores to be submitted but there is no minimum score required. I had embarassing GRE scores but still got into ASU's SESE. The biggest factor was getting in contact with an adviser that you are interested in working with. A strong interest and a love for your field is what ASU is looking for.

1 hour ago, ETRXRock said:

Stephen F Austin State University in in Nacadoches, TX does not require a GRE. You do not even need to submit scores.

ASU requires scores to be submitted but there is no minimum score required. I had embarassing GRE scores but still got into ASU's SESE. The biggest factor was getting in contact with an adviser that you are interested in working with. A strong interest and a love for your field is what ASU is looking for.

I'm guessing ASU you mean Arizona State University lol I never even heard of the other one. Did you get funding? 

• 4 weeks later...

Why go for Oil and Gas when you can use the same training for hydrology AND the jobs aren't disappearing. 

I think the real question is: What do you WANT to do?  What kind of career will not drive you absolutely insane?

What is your BS in?

On August 15, 2016 at 3:50 PM, geographyrocks said:

Why go for Oil and Gas when you can use the same training for hydrology AND the jobs aren't disappearing. 

I think the real question is: What do you WANT to do?  What kind of career will not drive you absolutely insane?

What is your BS in?

Bio and geo. I'll be at GSA this year to do some exploring. A number of professors I've been in contact with expressed interest in meeting me (some even offered to take me out to lunch). So I'll see if I could get any info on if I should apply again to certain schools or not 

Edited by columbia09

• 2 years later...
On 7/15/2016 at 8:02 AM, sjoh197 said:

If I remember correctly, you desperately wanted to get into a Texas school... and you did. You've already got an acceptance at Texas A&M which is a good school. UH and UT Austin & Dallas aren't going to admit you without a GRE score. 

So A&M didn't require GRE for Geology MS?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...