As a lawyer in the international development sector, do I need to study Econometrics?

Hi,

I am starting the MALD programme at Fletcher soon and need advise on courses to pick. I am a trained lawyer who has been working in the development sector. I am working to build a career in the international development space - working in an international agency on the legal side of things. However, I notice a lot of people in the development sector come with backgrounds in economics, finance and mathematics - which is not a strong skill of mine. 

My question is: do i need to take courses in econometrics, quantitative methods and related economics fiields of study ? I don't want to be impaired by my lack of ability in these subjects when it comes to jobs. 

Any advice would be helpful. 

Thanks.

This is a question for someone at your program. There is no way we can answer it here. In general, if a skill set or some courses are required for a certain job or career choice, it would probably be advisable for you to learn it. Or at least it is possible that not having the relevant skills could limit the jobs you might be a strong contender for. In that case, it would seem smarter to take the courses so that you are not hindered by their absence from your transcript later. That said, you should really consult with someone who actually knows your program and the field you are planning to enter, who can tell you if the particular courses you are considering are actually important or if there are other things that employers care about. So -- talk to your advisor, grad secretary, or your program's DGS.