AH!!!!!

digits2006

I think some of these professors just need to be honest with themselves and their student(s). It's okay if you don't have time- just admit it and I'll adjust! It's okay if it's not something you're interested in doing - I'd rather know then get a lukewarm letter late.

Some of the students on these boards have endured weeks of "promise to do it" conversations/emails over several months... if the situation were reversed, this would never be acceptable. While I agree these professors should have the option to say no, or to back out it really needs to be within a reasonable time frame for the student - their entire future rests on these letters, and in some cases so does the money they are wasting if all the LORs aren't in on time. They are our superiors, so it's understandable that they get to blow us off here and there without much backlash - but some of these cases I just find shocking. I say this as someone who had very prompt and helpful LORs myself, so I am not personally bitter I just feel horror for those that are going through this.

I completely agree with all that you said. Even other professors cannot believe that some professors would leave students hanging. It's so incredibly stressful for students when they're panicking about getting everything else on time and then, you have to worry about that one LOR that is nagging at the back of your mind. Leaves you quite bitter as well.

I would have done but he had to go teach and I had to catch a bus. At least I've been able to ask him point blank whether he still plans on doing them or not.

Did anything get submitted? :(

If your application due date is today, you still have a lot of time. digits2006 and I have been waiting for our letter of recommendation since around mid-December. I wouldn't worry too much until early Feb in your case.

Thanks, joro. I wouldn't like to worry about it, but I can't stop worrying. I don't know why he haven't submitted letters. Actually, when I asked him about submitting LORs a few days ago, I wrote him, "if you are uncomfortable, please let me know. I have to find another LOR writer." But he answered "of course I will do it on time."

I can't understand. I am from an east asian country, and have no experience with professors in the U.S. before. He suggested me that he would write LORs for me even before I asked. So, I asked him to write LORs when I completed applications. Is there anything wrong with me??

Edited by kyung

Thanks, joro. I wouldn't like to worry about it, but I can't stop worrying. I don't know why he haven't submitted letters. Actually, when I asked him about submitting LORs a few days ago, I wrote him, "if you are uncomfortable, please let me know. I have to find another LOR writer." But he answered "of course I will do it on time."

I can't understand. I am from an east asian country, and have no experience with professors in the U.S. before. He suggested me that he would write LORs for me even before I asked. So, I asked him to write LORs when I completed applications. Is there anything wrong with me??

My advice is to get a backup anyway just in case. Please don't linger onto the LOR writer who might not even pull through. Instead of stressing, go ahead and find another who will be ready to send them in if the other one can't. It'll take loads off your back, trust me!

There's nothing wrong with you and please don't take it personally. There are loads of reasons why professors cannot pull through sometimes. Some are due to time constraints, some are due to just sheer forgetfulness, some because of other issues. If he suggested to write you LORs, then I'd say that he thinks highly of you as a student and thinks you can succeed. However, find a backup who is ready to spring into action, in case he doesn't come through for you.