AH!!!!!

digits2006

To both of you guys: could you get a fourth professor to write you a letter? Don't even ask the schools for permission if you're worried that one of your original 3 won't submit theirs. Add them electronically if you can; if not, you can either contact the DGS and ask if your writer can email the letter directly to them (usually departments are very helpful and will allow you to do that); or simply have your writers write a paper letter and mail it to the department. Either way, don't just give up because of one unreliable LOR!

@digits: Don't worry about making your other writer look dumb. Leave the original writer as one of your 3 writers, and schools will know that she was supposed to write you a letter. That way it's clear who the "dumb" one is.

I did something similar. I asked four people knowing I'd only need three. The fourth person was weak and I knew it but better to have a complete app than not, I figured. For the fourth I gave him a list of all the schools and asked him to provide the copies to me -- to make it easy on him, I said. Then I just kept them in the event that I needed one quickly. Fortunately, my folks have been BEYOND responsive. In fact I'm going to add a gift to the thank you cards I've already sent. However, there is, I think, definitely a lesson to be learned from everyone's horrible situations.

This seems weird. One of my professors talked to my missing LOR. She thinks she sent them all in december. But she hasnt. But, she hasnt contacted me at all. You would think she would contact me via email after she found out that none of the letters are there. But nope. I called her house phone and left a message. I hope she checks them! The deadlines are FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!! She needs to answer her phone!

My deadline is today (January 15). One of my recommender has not submit his letter yet. I reminded him in late December and he answered that he would submit the letter in a timely manner. Should I wait or remind him again before the deadline?

My deadline is today (January 15). One of my recommender has not submit his letter yet. I reminded him in late December and he answered that he would submit the letter in a timely manner. Should I wait or remind him again before the deadline?

I started contacting professors 5 business days before the submission deadline if they hadn't submitted their letters yet. They were all very gracious and sympathetic about the whole process. They got things in on time and said nice things that calmed me down.

I would suggest contacting the professor ASAP.

I started contacting professors 5 business days before the submission deadline if they hadn't submitted their letters yet. They were all very gracious and sympathetic about the whole process. They got things in on time and said nice things that calmed me down.

I would suggest contacting the professor ASAP.

Thank you red_crayons. Actually, he is faculty member at the school I am applying to. So I did not worry about his letters. Anyway, I have to write an email to him...

My professor finally came through last night. All my letters have been uploaded or emailed! I am soooo happy! Now it is time to sit back and wait...

Congratulation!! :)

My recommender answered that he will write on time. Anyway, I am so stressed in this processes...

Congratulation!! :)

My recommender answered that he will write on time. Anyway, I am so stressed in this processes...

If your application due date is today, you still have a lot of time. digits2006 and I have been waiting for our letter of recommendation since around mid-December. I wouldn't worry too much until early Feb in your case.

Really happy for you the ones whose original LOR writer came through. I had to get a 4th LOR writer because the 3rd writer who had stated that she would have them all submitted by noon last Saturday failed to do so.

To all who are in this horrible position, go and talk to someone else IMMEDIATELY. Do not waste time on this. Don't worry about getting another recommendation writer after submitting applications. I explained to all my schools and they were totally understanding. In fact, the new LOR writer can email the letter as an attachment to the administrative assistant of the department or the grad school. Good Luck! I know (trust me) the position you're in. The best remedy is to find another one ASAP and let the schools know that your 3rd writer is MIA.

If you cannot find one in your field, try to find one who is a PhD and can at least account for your character and integrity for grad school. Even though it's not from your field, at least, there will be someone who is a bit "distinguished" and looks better than a tutor or something.

Students shouldn't have to be in this position (if they've done everything they can like emailing, reminding, etc). It reflects quite poorly on the flaky professor and failing to write after repeatedly stating so is quite unprofessional.

Edited by karakiz

I agree with karakiz that the graduate schools are very understanding. My final LOR emailed her letter to about 4 programs. Contact the schools and let them know and ask if they can just email the letter.

What if the schools specify that one letter has to be from your thesis advisor and THAT's the guy who has now missed five deadlines?

Ask someone for a backup letter so your application is complete, and keep pestering your advisor until he does his job!

What if the schools specify that one letter has to be from your thesis advisor and THAT's the guy who has now missed five deadlines?

All I have to say is WOW. A thesis advisor missing five deadlines? Yikes. I think you should keep pestering him over and over again. Since thesis advisors have longer CVs because they put down the theses that they have chaired (making themselves look better in academia), I'd say you have every right to ask him for recommendation letters.

I'd never heard of schools asking such a specific letter of recommendation but I'm sure it should be fine if you find a backup until the advisor sends his. Make sure to inform the schools, though. They're really understanding of letters that are out of your control.

All I have to say is WOW. A thesis advisor missing five deadlines? Yikes. I think you should keep pestering him over and over again. Since thesis advisors have longer CVs because they put down the theses that they have chaired (making themselves look better in academia), I'd say you have every right to ask him for recommendation letters.

I'd never heard of schools asking such a specific letter of recommendation but I'm sure it should be fine if you find a backup until the advisor sends his. Make sure to inform the schools, though. They're really understanding of letters that are out of your control.

Three of my six schools said that if you completed a thesis, one of your letters of recommendation should be from the thesis advisor.

Worse still, last year the department blew its budget and couldn't afford to pay TA's, but I TA'd for him anyway and he told me on several occassions that even though he was remiss he couldn't pay me for the excellent work I was doing, the reward would come with an excellent letter of recommendation.

Sigh.

Three of my six schools said that if you completed a thesis, one of your letters of recommendation should be from the thesis advisor.

Worse still, last year the department blew its budget and couldn't afford to pay TA's, but I TA'd for him anyway and he told me on several occassions that even though he was remiss he couldn't pay me for the excellent work I was doing, the reward would come with an excellent letter of recommendation.

Sigh.

I feel for you. Where is he? Just not able to reach him? I hope he has a valid excuse. If he has an ounce of credibility, he will write those letters.

I feel for you. Where is he? Just not able to reach him? I hope he has a valid excuse. If he has an ounce of credibility, he will write those letters.

I've been able to reach him. When I e-mail, he simply does not respond. When I call, he tells me that he's pretty sure he's already sent the letters but will double-check to make sure. And tells me not to worry. (But 5 of my 6 letters are now late.)

I've been able to reach him. When I e-mail, he simply does not respond. When I call, he tells me that he's pretty sure he's already sent the letters but will double-check to make sure. And tells me not to worry. (But 5 of my 6 letters are now late.)

If it's the only system, then get someone from the admissions to accept the LOR through email. After your LOR says it is sent, confirm by emailing the person they sent it to.

Can you talk to the department chair or someone to shake this prof up? There must be someone in the higher ups to whom you can go to and ask. I mean, this is about your career. If he's the only one missing and you have no back ups, please talk to the department chair or a dean or someone!

I'm also in the same boat. My recommender seems to think her life and committments are more important than mine, even though I asked her months in advance, and reminded her as well. She told me two days before theyw ere do, that she was going to 'deal with them today,' and then never did them. I proceeded to email and call, and no response. She had given me an award for best work at her Center for the previous year!

Luckily I had a backup, but still going to hurt me.

grr..

I'm also in the same boat. My recommender seems to think her life and committments are more important than mine, even though I asked her months in advance, and reminded her as well. She told me two days before theyw ere do, that she was going to 'deal with them today,' and then never did them. I proceeded to email and call, and no response. She had given me an award for best work at her Center for the previous year!

Luckily I had a backup, but still going to hurt me.

grr..

So frustrating. I just don't know why professors cannot say a simple "No" or a "I'm too busy" ahead of time. I feel y'all.

So frustrating. I just don't know why professors cannot say a simple "No" or a "I'm too busy" ahead of time. I feel y'all.

Sometimes things change between when they say "yes" in September/October and when they actually get around to doing it in December/January. It's not an excuse, but not everyone is evil.

I went and saw my errant LOR writer in the flesh yesterday (not close, it was a long journey by bus which is why I hadn't gone earlier). He's vowed to do them today. We'll see.

You should have sat outside his office till he finished them. I really hope he pulls through for you.

Sometimes things change between when they say "yes" in September/October and when they actually get around to doing it in December/January. It's not an excuse, but not everyone is evil.

It's not about being evil. I believe that students have every right to be frustrated. Sure, professors have to juggle a lot of priorities but students also invest a lot of time into the process of applying, not to mention the money as well. I didn't mean way ahead of time, but at least, let the student know right before or right after the deadline has passed instead of making the student wait for days and weeks at a time.

Edited by karakiz

It's not about being evil. I believe that students have every right to be frustrated. Sure, professors have to juggle a lot of priorities but students also invest a lot of time into the process of applying, not to mention the money as well. I didn't mean way ahead of time, but at least, let the student know right before or right after the deadline has passed instead of making the student wait for days and weeks at a time.

I think some of these professors just need to be honest with themselves and their student(s). It's okay if you don't have time- just admit it and I'll adjust! It's okay if it's not something you're interested in doing - I'd rather know then get a lukewarm letter late.

Some of the students on these boards have endured weeks of "promise to do it" conversations/emails over several months... if the situation were reversed, this would never be acceptable. While I agree these professors should have the option to say no, or to back out it really needs to be within a reasonable time frame for the student - their entire future rests on these letters, and in some cases so does the money they are wasting if all the LORs aren't in on time. They are our superiors, so it's understandable that they get to blow us off here and there without much backlash - but some of these cases I just find shocking. I say this as someone who had very prompt and helpful LORs myself, so I am not personally bitter I just feel horror for those that are going through this.