Publications - indispensable or not?

Vii

Hey!

I am an international applicant for clinical/counseling psychology phd. I was wondering if anyone (international or not) would want to share their experience regarding their application. Specifically, I am interested if anyone got accepted to a phd program (clinical or counseling) without having a published study.? Do you think publications are absolutely necessary when you are applying to such programs or you can still get in if you have other valuable experience (research and clinical?

I think that very much depends on who your potential supervisor is to be honest, and where you are applying from. Having someone you know as your potential supervisor, or someone well-connected with the people who write your references can help a lot. On the other hand, if you are applying internationally or someone outside the immediate circle or networks, and you need the extra boost, that is where publications may be at an advantage. To be fair, if you have publications you immediately stand out as a strong candidate, because in research this is unfortunately how standards are set. Of course, not everyone has them (or that many) initially, so all the other nuances are considered as well (fit, experience, grades, etc). 

I know you want clinical, but I'm in experimental and might as well give you my results: got accepted into a good school without publications my first try, then got accepted into a better school with 2 pubs.

Indispensable? Doubt it. Helpful? Definitely.

On 7/19/2016 at 6:36 PM, Jay's Brain said:

I think that very much depends on who your potential supervisor is to be honest, and where you are applying from. Having someone you know as your potential supervisor, or someone well-connected with the people who write your references can help a lot. On the other hand, if you are applying internationally or someone outside the immediate circle or networks, and you need the extra boost, that is where publications may be at an advantage. To be fair, if you have publications you immediately stand out as a strong candidate, because in research this is unfortunately how standards are set. Of course, not everyone has them (or that many) initially, so all the other nuances are considered as well (fit, experience, grades, etc). 

@Jay's Brain I understand. I do have plenty of research experience (i am not talking about handing out questionnaires or other paper work) and mostly relevant to what i am interested in studying, but no publications for now. I will try to submit at least two papers by December and hopefully that will raise my chances of getting in. 

Do you think that (from your experience/what you heard) is it absolutely necessary to have "connections" with the POI I want to work with? I am European and none of my professors know any of my POI. However, I did get an American professor (well known..but not in my field) who I worked with to write me a rec. letter. I really hope that will be enough. 

On 7/21/2016 at 8:41 AM, Viktoria said:

@Jay's Brain I understand. I do have plenty of research experience (i am not talking about handing out questionnaires or other paper work) and mostly relevant to what i am interested in studying, but no publications for now. I will try to submit at least two papers by December and hopefully that will raise my chances of getting in. 

Do you think that (from your experience/what you heard) is it absolutely necessary to have "connections" with the POI I want to work with? I am European and none of my professors know any of my POI. However, I did get an American professor (well known..but not in my field) who I worked with to write me a rec. letter. I really hope that will be enough. 

I don't think it is necessary, but it often helps. The researching world is small (ish), and people are connected regardless if they know each other personally. One thing you may want to consider is funding. Obviously you will be limited in the scholarships/funding opportunities that domestic students may have, so consider what your options are. Knowing that the student in question is funded or have the resources available can also make an international student with experience someone to take on (in the perspective of the POI).

Don't doubt yourself. You sound like you have the competitive credentials to be a strong candidate! :)