P.hD. Biological Anthropology-admission queries

Hello,

I am from Zoology background(finished my Masters last month) wanting to shift paths to Biological Anthropology (interested in nonhuman primate behaviour). I do not have a lot of research experience;I have researched/interned with about four institutions(among which two are directly related to primatology) and have got two more coming up (all at well-known organizations/institutions) I been looking at many universities in the US and Canada that offer PhD in Biological Anthropology and have seen a couple of programs,all of which look out of reach. T_T I  would really appreciate it if someone could provide me with some insight about the requirements or accepted student profiles.

I am also preparing for my GRE;have given a few mock tests and getting average scores ( V- 156-164 and Q-151-154) I will be giving my TOEFL this fall since I'm an international student.

Any information will be appreciated ! 

Hey,

Requirements vary from university to university so I would suggest looking them up and noting any kind of differences; generally, programs require GRE scores, 3 letters of recommendation, Transcripts, Writing sample, and a letter of intent/ statement of purpose (LOI/SOP). Some may ask for other things but this is pretty standard. I would contact the graduate director and with ore questions though. Seeing your mock GRE exam scores, you should do fine and well within PhD admissions standards. I believe they generally look for above 300 combined. And I would ask about needing the TOEFL because you graduated from an English language secondary school and university in India, so it could be an exam you don't need to take and pay for.

Universities also post student profiles with their interests and email and I think the best way to get a better idea about that. However email the graduate director and ask to be put in touch with some students etc. 

• 1 month later...
On 31/07/2016 at 2:51 AM, Bschaefer said:

Hey,

Requirements vary from university to university so I would suggest looking them up and noting any kind of differences; generally, programs require GRE scores, 3 letters of recommendation, Transcripts, Writing sample, and a letter of intent/ statement of purpose (LOI/SOP). Some may ask for other things but this is pretty standard. I would contact the graduate director and with ore questions though. Seeing your mock GRE exam scores, you should do fine and well within PhD admissions standards. I believe they generally look for above 300 combined. And I would ask about needing the TOEFL because you graduated from an English language secondary school and university in India, so it could be an exam you don't need to take and pay for.

Universities also post student profiles with their interests and email and I think the best way to get a better idea about that. However email the graduate director and ask to be put in touch with some students etc. 

My GRE wasn't as good as I had hoped,especially Verbal. I got a 158V,153Q and 5 AWA. I was expecting atleast 160 in Verbal. Yes,I was thinking the same about TOEFL too. But been hearing a lot of stuff about how some universities absolutely require it. Haven't booked a date yet though.
I am planning on sending out mails to professors working in my exact field of interest;hoping to get some positive responses. It's quite a nerve-wracking process. :'D 

Your scores are not bad at all, I believe once you meet the 'minimum' that they look for, its about who gets funding etc. I know for biological anth admissions they look for the quant score over the verbal but again you did fine. I think that ultimately you need to call/email the director of graduate studies for your program and ask about the TOEFL. I have a friend in Peru that is planning on  applying to US PhD programs and the price to take it is outrageous! I'm talking $200 american which is the equivalent to about s/ 668 nueve soles. If you are not required to take it, I wouldn't because its a lot of money. But anyone else that has had to who is in a similar situation as @Bidisha Chakraborty please correct me if I'm wrong