Online science courses

Hey everyone,

After taking prereqs, I plan on applying to a Master's program this fall. However, I'd like to sign up for my ASHA science courses for the spring while I await school decisions. I already took plenty of social/behavioral sciences and statistics in undergrad, so I have my other two sciences to take.

Does anyone know easy, cheap places to take these courses? Ideally for biological sciences, I'd like something like Anatomy and for physical sciences, perhaps physics rather than chemistry. I'd like a list of some potentials now so I can contact schools I'm applying to and see if they'd accept them.

Thanks!

Kate

Hi Kate, 

I took Physics 101 (3credits - no lab) and General Biology 101 (5cr - virtual lab) online through my local community college - Metropolitan Community Colleges of Kansas City (MCCKC). The classes are offered almost every semester - you can see the listing here: http://www.mcckc.edu/classes/credit/internet.asp  Because I'm an area resident they were super cheap (like $95 a credit hour). They're not the highest quality online classes and to really learn (as opposed to just getting a good grade), you'll need to do a lot of self discipline. 

Maybe check your local community colleges to see if they offer something! 

I searched for my science course with open.suny.edu! You can search through all the online courses offered by ALL the SUNY schools so it's a really great option, especially for NY residents. I decided on Human Biology (3 credits, no lab) through SUNY Ulster. In the description, it says it's a science course designed for non-science majors so I thought it would be pretty ideal! I second mccamp's suggestion to look towards local community colleges. 

I am currently an online student with Utah State Univ. Their COMD courses have been wonderful online compared to another online course I took somewhere in VA. I am sure they have other courses you need. But it is around $299 per credit hour. If you choose Human Anatomy or any lab required science course in any online schools, just confirm whether you need to order a lab kit or not. I tried chemistry through my local online community college course and wasted extra fees on a lab kit - it was hard doing the lab work outside of class.

• 1 year later...
On 8/2/2016 at 10:43 AM, theominousfuture said:

I searched for my science course with open.suny.edu! You can search through all the online courses offered by ALL the SUNY schools so it's a really great option, especially for NY residents. I decided on Human Biology (3 credits, no lab) through SUNY Ulster. In the description, it says it's a science course designed for non-science majors so I thought it would be pretty ideal! I second mccamp's suggestion to look towards local community colleges. 

Hey!! How was the Human biology class through SUNY Ulster?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 3:27 PM, SLPlife786 said:

Hey!! How was the Human biology class through SUNY Ulster?

Oh sorry it's been forever since I've been on here. The class was really great! Pretty easy too (mostly just rote memorization and being a thoughtful participant in discussions)! You could tell it was made for people who weren't bio majors. I highly highly recommend it.