how many schools is too many? too few?

papertiger31

looking through these forums, it seems like people apply to A LOT of graduate schools. i was thinking i had settled on applying to just five, but now i'm questioning that logic (and the clock is ticking). should i be sending out more apps?

looking through these forums, it seems like people apply to A LOT of graduate schools. i was thinking i had settled on applying to just five, but now i'm questioning that logic (and the clock is ticking). should i be sending out more apps?

The test is always, "Would I be happy to go to School X if it were the only one I got in to?" If there are schools other than your 5 that pass this test, perhaps you should apply to those as well. There is some randomness in grad admissions, which can make it a good idea to apply to many schools.

On the other hand, if you are fairly sure, for whatever reason, that you will get in to one of your 5, then it might not be worth it.

5 is a reasonable number of programs, btw...not too much lower than average, I'd guess.

Edited by socialpsych

I'm not in your field, but I applied to 6 schools. I have 3 Ph.D programs and 3 MA programs. 1 Ph.D program is more or less a 'safety'. I had to weigh costs vs. giving myself a chance. I think it's all about striking a balance between 1st choice and 2nd choice schools.

I applied to six programs when I applied for my MA and seven (six really, since one was where I already was) when I applied for my PhD. In hindsight, I should've dropped two of the PhD applications. I think 4-5 is fine if they are the only schools you want to attend.

• 1 month later...

People apply to as many schools as possible, just bcoz they are not sure if they will get in their dream schools and funding problems. Atleast thatz my reason. If you are happy with the univ u got into, then there is no reason u shud be worried.