hardest stat MSc programs to get in?

Rogelio

Hi,

I'm interested in entering a statistics master program in the US.

Since I graduated from a not so prestigious foreign university, I'm not considering aiming at top programs in the US.

I think that I have better chances applying to middle-rank programs. Plus, I have a limited budget for application fees and I don't want to squander it on unrealistic expectations.

My question is: where can I find MSc stat programs ranked by demand?

BTW, my long term project is to work for the financial sector. Do you think that I should apply to a PhD program? If so, can you provide a similar rank for PhD programs?

Best!

• 2 weeks later...

What do you want to do in the financial sector? If you want to be a quant, then it makes sense to get a PhD in statistics or some other very mathematical field. However, there are lots of other jobs one can do, and for some of them you might be better off with a masters program in financial engineering/financial mathematics.

It's hard for anyone to say what your chances might be without more information. Check out some of the profiles others have posted and consider doing one of those.

People often use the US News and World Report rankings when comparing schools. You could look at those.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I really appreciate your interest :)

I really don't know what I want to do in the financial sector. I just don't want to work in the academia. What are the prospects of getting into the industry with a PhD? 

I read all these articles saying that getting a PhD is only for academicians, that if you want to get in the industry you need less education and more real-life experience. The question is: Is getting a PhD just "too much specialization" for getting into the industry?

My background:

-BA in Physics from Havana University, Cuba (June 2015).

-All grades between A+ and B+, in all math subjects I got straight A's

-1 scientific paper (Physics) published in a British journal with 3.798 impact factor.

-the paper got cited in Nature Physics (sort of a big deal in the Physics world).

-1 presentation in an international conference.

-Work experience <1year working for an IB school, in a prestigious Mexican university.

-I can only get recommendation letters from Cuban professors with a limited visibility in the US (they are excellent, it's just they aren't very well known).

-I'll take the GRE general and the subject before Jan 2017.

I have two more questions:

-Given my weak application, how "good" my grades in the GRE general/subject need to be? I know that it depends, but do you have an estimate?

-By the time I'll finish with my application I'll be 26/27 years old, is that a problem for getting funding?

Though I graduated only 1 year ago, Cuban males hold back 1 year because of military service and my major was 5 years long (equivalent to an MsC by some standards).

I'll appreciate any further comments. I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the info.

Kind regards,

Rogelio

Edited by Rogelio

I don't work in the financial industry, and like you are in the process of applying to stat masters/PhDs, so I can't answer all your questions but..

The idea that getting a stat PhD is going to keep you from working in finance is crazy. As the other poster mentioned, you really need to have a better idea of what exactly you want to do, but if you're interested in quant stuff, I think the market is there for PhDs. A lot of hedge funds or smaller trading firms seem like they are more than willing to work with you if you know your stats/math at a high level and can program. I just called this one up because I saw it recently, but you kind definitely find more stuff like this if you look around. I think if you're smart enough, they don't give a shit if you've worked in finance. https://careers.sig.com/job/SUSQA004Y86/Quantitative-Research-Internship .

The other great thing about stats is you can work in so many fields, so if your interests change, it's all good!

Thanks!

I checked the link and searched for some more info. It kind of answers my question.

I gave it a thought and I'm going for it.

BTW, I wish Carletto an excellent season and (by transitive property) to FCB.

Best!

R

3 hours ago, Rogelio said:

Thanks!

I checked the link and searched for some more info. It kind of answers my question.

I gave it a thought and I'm going for it.

BTW, I wish Carletto an excellent season and (by transitive property) to FCB.

Best!

R

Great!

haha thanks we're all very excited about this season and carlo's more direct style